Chapter 9: Black Raisin and the Blind

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah...those veiled ladies were talking about some kinda beast running around Earthbread. Sounds coooooooool..."

"Hm...'cool' indeed, Poison Mushroom Cookie. Do you know which way this beast went?"

"Naw...but those ladies said it was headed for that big lake with stars in it,"

"A monster of such overwhelming energy...it could give us the advantage we lacked in our last battle. And I know JUST the Cookie to catch it,"

"Ohhhh...far out. ...Who?"

"Fetch me Red Velvet Cookie. It is time we start our OWN hunt for this...'Bête Blanc'."

***

Meringue Cookie awoke the next morning, her head feeling as if she had been hit at full force by a cream roll hog. She could barely remember what had happened last night. The last thing she recalled was talking to her father, drinking a cup of tea, and then, nothing. "Ugh..."

She suddenly realized she smelled not the familiar biscuitstone bricks of her home, but the earthy smell of the underground. Letting out a startled gasp, she shot upwards and out of the den, though not making it far before her back hit a Cookie behind her and sent her flat on her face. She quickly rolled onto her back, thankful to recognize Black Raisin Cookie's scent. She laughed nervously at her ungraceful awakening. "Er...good morning."

Black Raisin Cookie let out a patient sigh. "Meringue Cookie, a tough Cookie awakens BEFORE her foes. If you're late again, I'll have no choice but to-"

*eyowrr...*

Black Raisin Cookie's lecture was interrupted by a strange noise. She looked skeptically down at the source, who was clasping her stomach with embarrassment. "What...was that?"

"W-What was what?" Meringue Cookie laughed nervously. Another rumble from her stomach gave her away, making her cringe a bit. "Ah-haha...I guess I'm a little hungry."

"Then you should eat," Black Raisin Cookie said matter-of-factly. Meringue Cookie did nothing, looking around expectantly, not sure what to do. It was then Black Raisin Cookie realized what she said. "Oh...um, well...I suppose I should find you something to eat."

Black Raisin Cookie dug around in her bag before pulling out the only thing she had on her: a stale raisin bun. "Here."

Meringue Cookie sniffed it, then took it from Black Raisin Cookie's hands. She tilted her head, a bit doubtful. "...What IS this?"

"A raisin bun," Black Raisin Cookie replied dryly.

"Oh...are they good?"

"You should try it and find out for yourself."

Meringue Cookie looked back and forth between her and the raisin bun, then took a single bite. Black Raisin Cookie watched her carefully, waiting to see what she would do next. Then, to her surprise, the raisin bun was gone in three more bites. "Mm...mhm!"

After Meringue Cookie finished her meal, Black Raisin Cookie started down the path. "Now, let's get moving. We need to find our way to Parfaedia."

Meringue Cookie suddenly perked up, remembering how excited she had been to go to the Magic City. "*gasp* Whoo-hoo! Parfaedia! We're gonna meet Father at Parfaedia!"

Black Raisin Cookie watched as Meringue Cookie pranced around her excitedly as they walked. "Hey--wait--hold on--Meringue Cookie!!"

Meringue Cookie froze on her command. "...Yeah?"

"A tough Cookie does not lose her composure under any circumstances,"

"...She doesn't?"

"She certainly does not. A tough Cookie maintains control at all times, displaying strength and walking with pride."