Chapter 17: At a Lifetime's End

Azalea Cookie walked into a white void, where a group of otherworldly spirits were waiting for her at the end of the path, guarding a large gate. When they saw her, they spoke in a unified voice. "...You lived a long life."

She nodded once in agreement. "I have."

"What are your regrets?"

"...That I leave my Cookies in the state that they are,"

"Those of us that tried to play God soon find ourselves at the mercy of our own actions. You are here to be judged,"

"Do you find justice in being the one to pass judgement on me?"

"In a way...your crimes were not considered as such. A spirit of another kind had judgement passed on him long ago. But by Ancient Witch law, your crimes are far greater. Years ago, the Witches created the Cookies to be eaten, yet you broke off from their declaration of hunger and saved one, creating a land for them to live in, thus allowing an untamed magic to run free,"

"Be that as it may...I am ready to accept whatever judgement may come to pass."

Just then, the gates behind the spirits opened, which surprised Azalea Cookie. When she looked up to the spirits for answers, their faces were as stone-cold as ever. "This time, the one to pass judgement on you...will not be us."

"What's going on?" Azalea Cookie demanded to know.

The spirits did not answer her. "Go. You will see."

Azalea Cookie walked inside the gates to reveal a castle bedroom, adorned with keepsakes from the different kingdoms. To her right, she saw Meringue Cookie and Dark Choco Cookie, standing off to the side. "What does this all mean?"

Just then, she looked in front of her and saw the Little Giant, the first Cookie to escape the Witches, walk towards her. "You..."

The Little Giant bowed his head in respect. "It's been a long time, Lady Azura."

"What's going on?"

"When you first released me into Earthbread, I stayed true to my word. I ran as fast and as long as I pleased, until I crunched and crumbled when I was good and ready. However, I ended up here, the gatekeeper of judgement to a new world. When Cookies who live their fullest lives on Earthbread pass away, they come here to be judged. Not by the otherworldly spirits of Fortuna, but by me. Upon ending your own life in the form of a Cookie...well..."

"I...I don't understand,"

"You saved my life all those years ago, Lady Azura. A debt I have long since sworn to pay you back for. Now, instead of judgement, I have given you a chance to decide: you...or her. Choose."

Looking between Meringue Cookie and herself, at last, she understood: only one of them would be returning to save Earthbread. But what choice to make? Should she restore her faith in her selected hero and send her back? Or head back herself and use what spells she had left in her to stop her sisters?

Knowing there was only one way to find out, Azalea Cookie joined Meringue Cookie's side. "I thought I'd find you here, honey."

"Azalea Cookie...?" Meringue Cookie looked up. "Why are you here?"

"Why are YOU here, is the better question."

When Meringue Cookie didn't answer, Azalea Cookie strode in front of her. "You're stuck here, aren't you?"

Meringue Cookie hung her head in shame, prompting Dark Choco Cookie to speak up and explain. "As I was going to pass through the doors, I saw her here. As if...frozen in time."