Chapter 8 - Turning Point 1

Mike stared at Summer in disbelief as she stepped into the room with her Nike shoes. I can't believe she had to enter right now! We were nearly done with the message!

As soon as Summer had taken a few steps into the room, she stopped with her foot poised in the air. Her eyes were focused on the floor below her and a look of disgust played across her face.

'Eww!' Summer complained. 'Mum, there are ants in my room!'

'Did you eat in there with the girls last night?' Summer's mum called back.

'Yeah.'

'Well, there you go.'

Summer lowered her foot down. Mike's jaw dropped as he watched Summer's foot envelop dozens of ants at once. With an expression that hinted excitement, Summer brought her foot down. The immense pressure instantly popped the bodies of the ants. Summer raised her heel and twisted her foot into the carpet, grinding the remains of the ants to make sure none survived.

'You have to run, Lucas!' Guy shouted. 'While she's distracted!'

Lucas shot a fearful look at Guy and attempted to run, but his body locked up in fear. After Summer pulverized the rest of the ants with some gentle taps of her feet, she seemed satisfied and walked to her desk. She sat down with a sigh and crossed one leg over the other. Her long blonde hair ran below the table. Mike wondered if it was longer than the string that he used to climb his way up. Summer tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear and her rich amber eyes pointed forwards.

'What the?' Summer said hesitantly as she saw the markings.

Summer raised a huge hand. In a split second she had brushed away the pencil shavings from the page. Mike frantically scanned the shavings for any sign of Lucas.

'Mackenzie!' Summer boomed angrily. 'What is this?'

Now that was a name Mike recognized. He hadn't met Summer's younger sister, but she talked about her every now and then, usually when she complained.

'What?' Mackenzie replied through a wall.

'You wrote in my book!' Summer shouted.

Mike's eyes widened as he saw the tiniest movement from the pencil shavings. A moment later, Lucas stuck his head out and wheezed. He looked frantically in Guy's direction and scrambled to his feet.

'No, wait!' Mike yelled.

Lucas didn't wait. Mike realized that suddenly being swept by his sister had made him panic. Even so, Mike kept yelling at Lucas in the hope that he would turn back to the shavings and hide as best he could.

Summer looked back at her book. To everyone's horror, her eyes locked on Lucas's frail body as he hobbled towards Guy. A look of shock came across Summer's face as she snapped back in her chair and brought her hands up to her chest, like she was trying to protect herself.

This is it! Mike smiled giddily. He recalled how Summer looked at him the same way after she had kissed him. She's noticed that Lucas is a human! We're saved!

'Yuck, there are even ants up here!'

Mike's smile dropped. Summer held one hand to her chest like she was still fearful, but she moved her other hand forwards. She extended her pointing finger towards Lucas. In a split-second Summer's huge finger loomed above Lucas, blocking out the light below. Lucas haltered as he saw Summer's finger right above him.

'NOO!' Mike shouted.

The protesting was useless. Her finger gently enveloped Lucas. There was a snapping sound as Summer applied the slightest pressure. As soon as her finger had connected with the table, Summer lifted it off, exposing a red mark on the desk below. Mike collapsed to his knees, and he vaguely noticed Guy do the same.

Summer's finger didn't return. It hovered across the table like an attack helicopter as Summer looked for any more bugs. Her expression became more determined as she searched. She was getting used to squishing the annoying little invaders.

Her finger stopped next to the pot plant. Mike watched in a kind of dazed horror as Summer's finger came crashing down towards Daniel. Daniel screamed and broke into a run, narrowly avoiding Summer's finger.

'Come here you annoying little bug!' Summer sighed, like it was just a trivial matter that she had to take care of before doing something fun.

Daniel's panicked run caused him to trip. He held an arm up and screamed, but it was useless. Summer's stained finger came crashing into Daniel, popping his body instantly.

'Yuck.'

Summer twisted her finger a little to make sure the bug was really dead. Daniel had earnt it from his escape attempt.

Just as Summer raised her finger again to keep looking for bugs, a different set of shockwaves appeared at the door.

'What?' Mackenzie asked at the door impatiently.

Her bare feet were a mile apart because of her height at 5' 10". She stood lazily with one leg slightly extended, making the distance wider. She brushed her brown hair aside as she looked at Summer with blue eyes and a bored expression. Mike would never have guessed that she was Summer's sister.

Summer's finger pulled back and dropped to her side. She didn't rub off the remains of Lucas and Daniel from her fingertip; they only made the tiniest stain on her skin, after all. Summer looked over at Mackenzie in annoyance.

'Why did you write in my book?' Summer snapped.

Tears built in Mike's eyes. He knew it would be wise to run, but Mike couldn't muster up the energy. Mike looked over at Guy and recognized that he was no different. Guy's arrogant demeanor had been utterly shattered as he knelt there with his eyes wide, looking down.

'What are you talking about?' Mackenzie groaned as she walked over to Summer's book, her feet making shockwaves on the way. Mackenzie squinted at the tiny letters. 'What is this?'

'You tell me,' Summer said unimpressed.

'"H E L P  U S  W E T"?'

Mackenzie read the messy writing and eyed Summer in confusion before scoffing and walking to the door.

'You're so weird,' Mackenzie commented.

'Says you,' Summer retaliated.

Mackenzie stepped out of the room without another word. Summer shook her head in annoyance.

'When will she grow up?' Summer sighed as she returned her amber eyes to the table before her.

'You're a runner,' Guy croaked.

Mike almost didn't hear him. 'Yes.'

Summer's blonde hair swept across the table as she began looking for any more annoying bugs.

'Then run. Jump off the table. I saw you do it before, you know.'

Mike sobbed. 'Come with me!'

Guy continued talking slowly. 'I used to think you survived because of luck. Maybe I was right. But that time you escaped from Summer's lips was downright skillful. I think you have what it takes to escape from this hell.'

'Don't talk like this is the last time we'll see each other!' Mike cried.

'God you're annoying,' Guy spat. 'Run, now, while she's looking at the plant!'

Perhaps there was still a bit of a leader in there. At least there was enough for Mike to respond to his command. Mike got to his feet slowly and built up to a running pace towards the edge of the desk. Summer's eyes immediately landed on Mike and a look of disgust came over her. Her finger shot over to Mike, but just before crushing him into a stain, her finger stopped, poised over him.

Mike turned his head to see Guy jumping and waving his arms around like a lunatic. Tears formed in Mike's eyes and he shot his head forwards again.

I'm surviving for Guy's sake. This is what he wanted!

With an explosive sound, Guy shot ahead of Mike, moving high through the air. Summer had given him a little flick. Perhaps she had gotten somewhat bored with squishing little bugs.

Mike entered a freefall as he ran off the edge. The carpet came rushing towards him, and in less than a second, Mike collided with it. The world went black.