Chapter 5 - A Dance With Death

The hairs on the back of Mike's neck stood up. Mike got up slowly as if to not anger a wild animal. He turned to see The Creep sitting hunched up right behind him. Mike backed away.

'You're nearly there!' The Creep encouraged. 'They could probably notice you now!'

Mike came to his senses as he realized he was backing into the open space. He looked up fearfully at the girls, and to his relief, they weren't looking at him.

Hopefully the guys didn't see me do that! Mike thought as he went back under the bedside table.

'You're sick,' Mike spat.

The Creep smiled gleefully, which was not the reaction Mike was hoping for.

'Did you really stalk my friend Summer?'

The Creep put a finger over his lips to silence Mike. His eyes were trained on the huge girls ahead. 'You're missing the show!'

Even though Mike felt ignored, he was happy to shift his attention away from The Creep. He sat down further away and smiled as he watched the girls talk. He already missed having conversations with Summer, even if they were never as long as Mike hoped for.

'How did your date go with Dylan?' Summer asked Ava excitedly.

Ava grinned. 'It was so sweet! He dressed up in a suit and lit candles around his dining room table.'

'Aww!' Summer and Zoey smiled in unison.

'What did you talk about?' Summer asked.

Ava had an awkward expression. She laughed a little before changing her posture, tucking both her legs to one side.

'What?' Summer prodded. Her curiosity was spiked now more than ever.

'Well, most of the time we didn't talk much,' Ava admitted. 'I was kinda waiting for Dylan to start the conversation.'

'Oh, was it a bit awkward?' Zoey checked.

'Maybe a little?' Ava giggled. 'But he's a really sweet guy.'

Mike couldn't help but smirk. I'm sure I can do a better job on a date than this "Dylan" guy. At least... if I was at my normal size.

'I see you had your eye on Tyler, today!' Ava teased Summer.

Mike's heart immediately jumped into his throat. Has Summer already moved on from me? Did she even have her eye on me in the first place?

Summer looked away a little in shyness and brushed a lock of blonde hair behind her ear. 'Well, he's kinda cute. But I was hoping to see Mike today.'

Mike's heart dropped right back down again and melted in his chest. She does like me after all!

'Oh, Mike?' Ava asked somewhat absent-mindedly. 'The runner?'

'Hey, he's not just "the runner"!' Summer protested. 'I think he's really nice.'

Ava tilted her head to one side, leaving her long dirty blonde hair to hang like tall rainforest vines. She pursed her pink lips as she expressed her doubt.

'Yeah, I love it when guys ghost me too!'

Mike froze. He could suddenly see Ava's perspective. He hadn't intended to leave them for so long, but it would have come across as avoidance.

'If only they knew I was here!' Mike cried to no avail.

'Hmm, I don't know,' Summer said. 'I think he might have been sick after that race. I mean, he didn't even show up for school today.'