Chapter 4 - Lucas's Story

Mike respected Guy and Daniel. After all, Guy saved Mike's life and Daniel provided his support. But the catch was to follow their orders, and Mike didn't like the sound of that. There was one person he could talk to who wasn't so bossy, other than The Creep.

Out from the crack crawled Lucas. He was still groggy after sleeping for longer than the rest of them. It surprised Mike that Lucas slept the most; at his age he should have been waking the others up. But Mike didn't dwell on the thought. There were much stranger thoughts to dwell on.

'Hey, Lucas!' Mike called.

'Oh, hey Mike.' Lucas smiled faintly, a half-smile that would at the very least be accepted by others. It concerned Mike.

He must feel quite unhappy down here.

Mike fell asleep faster than he ever had last night, due to the stress and fatigue from running, and injuries from Summer crushing him underfoot. He hadn't gotten the chance to connect with who was supposedly Summer's younger brother; a person he had never heard of until last night. It excited Mike to talk to him; it would bring him closer to Summer's family, and maybe there were some things Mike could learn about Summer.

'How are you?' Mike opened the conversation.

Lucas bobbed his head as if to say "so so".

'So, you're really Summer's little brother?'

'Yeah,' Lucas said with a smile that seemed somewhat proud. Mike could wholly understand the expression; being the little brother of someone as huge and magnificent as summer was no small thing.

'Well, it's nice to meet you. I go to school with summer and I'm good friends with her.'

Mike was telling a half-truth. For the most part he was too shy to talk to Summer, but they did talk on occasions like when Mike won the race. He wouldn't dare tell that to Lucas, though. He wanted to look like a strong and capable boyfriend to Summer that Lucas would accept.

'Really?' Lucas asked, genuinely intrigued. 'What do you learn about in school?'

'Oh, you know, math, English, science, and stuff like that,' Mike answered hesitantly. It occurred to Mike that Lucas hadn't been to school for a long time. He had simply been trapped down here in his sister's bedroom. It raised the obvious question.

'How long have you been trapped down here?' Mike asked with a serious tone. 'Like, exactly how long?'

'Oh.' Lucas held one arm nervously and seemed to retreat into himself in embarrassment. 'It's been years now. I've lost track of time.'

It took every effort from Mike to stop his jaw from dropping in shock. No wonder Summer hasn't talked about her younger brother. It's been so long that she's probably moved on!

Mike cleared his throat and readied himself again. He knew he needed to look strong in front of Lucas to make up for the strength that Lucas clearly lacked.

'We're going to solve this,' Mike stated as he looked dead into Lucas's eyes.

Lucas shifted his eyes away in doubt. 'But Guy says that we-'

'I don't care what Guy says or doesn't say!' Mike interrupted. 'You want to be free in the world again, right? You want to see your friends again, and learn all sorts of interesting stuff at school?'

Lucas nodded slowly. He briefly opened his mouth before closing it again. Mike would never let that go by. It was a chance to learn what Lucas really thought.

'Say what you were going to say,' Mike encouraged. 'No matter what you had in mind.'

Lucas straightened up a little. 'I... I want to be with Big Sis.'

Not the answer that Mike was expecting.

'Big Sis is really kind, I know that. Despite everything that she's done.'

Mike gulped. He didn't want to recall that about Summer.

'And I've just been here, watching her grow up.'

Lucas frowned deeply, so deeply that Mike felt like hugging him. But Mike didn't feel like he should. He only met Lucas last night, after all.

'I used to hate Big Sis in the past for being so bossy, and not understanding me. But after spending all this time here, I realize she was just trying to care for me.'

Tears beaded in Lucas's eyes as Lucas looked up sharply at Mike. Mike's eyes widened in return.

'I just... I want to show her that I love her. And that I understand her. I understand Big Sis better than anything now. Better than math, or English, or science. Better than myself.'

The conversation stopped abruptly. As much as Mike didn't want to drop the conversation, he was too stunned to respond. The whole situation was far from what he could imagine. Eventually, though, as Lucas continued to tear up, Mike laid a hand on his back and rubbed it gently.

'We're going to be with Big Sis,' Mike confirmed with a painted-on smile. 'Just you wait.'

Mike's words seemed to have contributed somewhat. Lucas brushed away his tears and seemed to stand up a little straighter.

'I'm going to play with Guy,' Lucas decided before heading off. Mike simply smiled as he went. Although he had mixed feelings about Guy, he was glad that Guy spent the time to play with Lucas and keep him happy.

As time ticked on, Mike decided he didn't want to stay under the bed all day. He wanted to explore, and he had already experienced a strong enough dose of bossiness from both Guy and Daniel. Despite the risk of running into The Creep, Mike decided it was worth it as he headed under the bedside table. Mike's strict training regime couldn't be continued under the conditions he found himself in, but Mike did his best to train anyway. He roughly estimated 328 feet and did several sprints back and forth. His specialty was short-distance sprints.

While Mike was in the middle of a sprint, his focus was broken as the front door to the house opened. He slowed to a walking pace, and eventually stopped, as he heard three girls talking. One was obviously Summer; Mike could distinguish her voice anywhere. The others took a little longer for Mike to identify, but eventually he realized that they belonged to Summer's closest friends: Ava and Zoey.

Their heavy footsteps collided with the carpeted staircase and eventually the door swung open, making their voices much louder and clearer.

'I still don't know what I want to do,' Summer sighed as she stepped into the room, unwittingly sending shockwaves through the tiny boys below. 'I really want to travel, though!'

Mike suddenly felt an unexpected rising anxiety. What would happen if she simply left us here if she went travelling? Would we starve while she's gone? Would she ever even return?'

'Ooh, that sounds nice!' Ava grinned. 'You know I'd have to come with you, right?'

Summer giggled lightly. 'Yeah, and you have to come with us too, Zoey!'

Ava and Zoey joined in with the giggling. Mike carefully made his way out from under the bed-side table to get a view of the girls. He instantly decided it was worth it. Their beauty never failed to impress Mike, especially Summer's.

The girls took off their shoes and socks, exposing their huge bare feet. They had a soft shine to them from the sweat of moving around all day. The smell quickly reached Mike. It wasn't the most pleasant smell, but Mike certainly didn't mind it. Instead, it simply made Mike feel more connected to them in a way. It was a smell that seemed real and earthy.

Mike noticed a packet of chips in Summer's hands. Summer opened it with a loud pop and sat down on the floor. Ava and Zoey joined her with a smile, forming a circle.

It occurred to Mike that some tiny chip fragments would break off as the girls ate them. Even though the girls would probably crush them down further underneath their grimy feet, Mike felt excited at the opportunity to eat something more interesting than a pumpkin kernel. Mike felt the urge to run out immediately and pick for chip fragments, but after the episode he had in the morning Mike decided against it.

'I'd be even more likely to get stepped on, after all,' Mike shuddered.

'Ooh, I'd love to see that!' Came a creepy voice from behind Mike.