Gone

It was true. I had been out an entire month, well not out but unconscious. The last time that I slept was a month ago but it only felt that I had slept for a few hours, maybe. When I woke up, covered in blood with the search lights, I had apparently escaped the testing lab, killing a few hundred guards on my way out. It was odd hearing the news about killing all of them but being completely unaware that they died by my hand. There was no regret in killing them, no, I actually would have like to have the memory. They tortured me relentlessly, my memory seeming to be filled with only the screams and agony, so remembering their blood on my hands would've been euphoric. 

Zoey told me that the day that I came too, from my frenzied state, was the first time that the lights started shinning in the sky and every night after they'd go looking for me.

I was shocked but there wasn't much that I could do about it. I couldn't go back in time and force myself to stay up, to find Zoey and live with her. There was no going back and I couldn't lament the time that was wasted, I had to go on. To reach Michelle and Doc.

It was odd, how lucky I was to find her, a safe place and some food. I would've been forced to race between the cave and the open forest in search of food, most likely being found instantly. How she survived out here was news to me. She was a human, surrounded by vampires and yet she had no worries about being found or killed. When she confronted me, with her gun nuzzled into my chest, she reacted quite peacefully rather than freaking out.

After a few days' rest, the tenderness in my side finally dissipating, we sat in her cabin doing nothing. I wanted to leave but her anxieties held us back. Somehow convincing herself that we would be found instantly, she repeatedly told me that I needed to heal more as if she knew my body better than myself. I could've protested or just left but something left me anchored in, a numb feeling gnawing away at my conscious telling me that I couldn't leave. Not without her, so I stayed with little complaining.

Glancing around her comfy home, I noticed that she didn't have much. There were no pictures or anything resembling a family like atmosphere. The had the typical setting; a table in her dining room, a decent sized couch, tiny things here and there that helped make her home look more... average than most but it still lacked something. Lonely would perfectly describe how her home looked but I wouldn't say anything. All that I knew was that when I had lived with Michelle and Doc was that we had pictures of anything hung up in our house. Whether it was of trees or us, there was always something helping the walls look less naked but she didn't have a thing.

Without really thinking, my curiosity overwhelming me, I asked, "Do you live alone?"

She was submerged in a book but I saw her visibly tense from the topic. Dog earring the page, she closed her book, placing it down on the table beside her, before she looked at me. With a furrowed brow, she countered, "Why does it matter?"

It was the first time that I had seen her become defensive about anything and I immediate knew that it was a touchy subject for her. I didn't know how she ended up out here but I wanted to know. I just wanted to know her better and, if I could, I'd tell her anything she wanted to know about me. If I could remember.

Sighing heavily, she combed her hand through her luscious brown hair, everting eye contact. Remaining silent for an eternity, I studied her. She knew that I didn't plan on dropping the question but I wondered if she would answer or just ignore me. Something about her was painfully beautiful as she sat curled in the love seat.

"Yes. I live alone." She reluctantly answered, tensing up from something that I couldn't detect. The conversation was easy, nothing to get worked up about but, I think, the memories that were tagged along complicated things.