Ep1 ~ P6

Y/n's pov

There were a lot of clouds in the sky when I went to visit Jericho. Slightly chilly. I entered the little cafe on the corner. I rang the bell on the counter.

"Y/n!" Tyler said as he appeared from the back rooms. "The usual?" I nodded. Tyler got to work. I sat down at one of the booths. Tyler came shortly after with my favorite drink.

"How's life?" he asked.

"It's good. Ethan got a roommate recently. He almost died." I answered.

"Ethan almost died?!" Tyler exclaimed.

"No! His roommate." I facepalmed.

"Oh, is he ok?"

Yeah... He's fine." I took a sip of my drink. "What about you?"

"Boring, I guess," Tyler said. "I'm still having a bit of trouble with my dad. But nothing out of the ordinary." The bell on the front counter rang. Tyler quickly rushed back to the counter. I stared out the window as I continued to drink. A loud noise interrupted my peace. I looked over at the source of the noise. Tyler was standing behind a steaming espresso machine. I get up from my booth.

"Are you ok?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Tyler responded. Tyler investigated the machine. It let out another burst of steam.

"Holy crap!" Tyler suddenly yelled. I turned around and shrieked when I saw Wednesday standing right next to me.

"Do you make a habit of scaring the hell out of people?" Tyler asked.

"It's more of a hobby," Wednesday replied. I placed a hand on my heart.

"You're going to give me a heart attack eventually."

"Maybe I should do that more often then," Wednesday said. I narrowed my eyes.

"You go to Nevermore," Tyler commented. "Didn't realize they changed the uniform."

"I need a quad over ice," Wednesday ordered. "It's an emergency." Tyler looks at the broken machine in front of him.

"It's four shots of espresso." Wednesday clarified.

"He knows what a quad is," I said.

"Spoiler alert, the espresso machine is having a seizure, so all we have is drip." Tyler looked over at a man pouring drip into a cup.

"But drip is for people who hate themselves and know their lives have no real purpose or meaning," Wednesday stated. The man pouring himself drip place down his cup and walked away.

"What's wrong with your machine?

"It's a temperamental beast with a mind of its own, and it doesn't help that the instructions are in Italian," Tyler explained. Wednesday walked around to the other side of the counter and took the instructions from Tyler.

"I need a tri-wing screwdriver and a four-millimeter Allen wrench," he said.

"You can read Italian?!" I asked, surprised. Wednesday looked at me.

"Of course. It's the native tongue of Machiavelli." Wednesday looked back at Tyler. "Here's the deal. I'm going to fix your machine, then you're going to make my coffee and call a taxi."

"There are no taxis in Jericho," I said. Tyler handed Wednesday a screwdriver.

Try Uber?" Tyler suggested. Wednesday went to work on the machine.

"I don't have a phone. I refuse to be a slave to technology."

"Then you're out of luck," Tyler responded.

"Where are you going anyway?" I said. "You just got here."

"That's on a need-to-know basis," Wednesday replied. "What about trains?" I looked at Tyler not knowing the answer to that question.

"Nearest station is Burlington. It's half an hour away." Tyler answered. The espresso machine continued to steam.

"You have a valve issue. I've seen it before." Wednesday continued to poke around with the screwdriver. Tyler steps forward to look inside the machine. I stand on my tiptoes to look inside.

"Where?" I asked.

"You have one of these monsters at home?" Tyler questioned.

"Steam-powered guillotine. I built it when I was ten." Wednesday answered. "I wanted to decapitate some old dolls more efficiently."

"Sure," Tyler nodded. "Male Grim Reaper Barbie, makes perfect sense." The steam coming out of the espresso machine stopped.

"Wow. Thanks." Tyler said. "I never met a Nevermore kid who got their hands dirty. I'm Tyler by the way." Tyler placed the lid back on the machine.

"I didn't catch your name, or is it on a need-to-know basis too?"

"His name is Wednesday," I spoke up.

"Tell you what, Wednesday. To show my appreciation, how about I drive you to Burlington?" Tyler said.

"Ooh, can I come too?" I asked. "No leaving Nevermore but to drop Wednesday off." Wednesday shrugged, not caring if I came or not. I left the two boys and sat back down at my booth. I frowned at my cold drink but took a sip anyway.

"Put that quad in a to-go cup." Wednesday turned around to leave.

"Uh, but I don't get off for another hour," Tyler said.

"I'll sweeten the pot." Wednesday pulled out twenty dollars.

"Twenty whole dollars..." Tyler blinked. "Tempting, but no."

I'll make it forty." Wednesday pulled out another twenty dollars.

"Uh... Listen Wednesday, one fun fact about me..." Tyler said. "I can't be bought, so either wait, or find someone else to drive you." Wednesday looked Tyler up and down before turning around and leaving. Wednesday took a seat across from me in my booth.

"Y/n can you drive me?" he asked.

"I don't know how to but if you can steal a car and have a death wish, yes I can drive you," I said. Wednesday leaned back in his seat and settled for the option of waiting.