Ep2 ~ P3

Y/n's pov

I sat on a hay bale watching Xavier practice archery. He was waiting for Wednesday to show up. Principal Weems had forced him to pick an extracurricular activity. I was trying to hide from Enid. I needed a break from her rambling on and on about the Poe cup. Wednesday approached from behind us as Xavier launched an arrow and missed the bullseye.

"You missed." Wednesday suddenly said, standing by my side.

"Geez! Wednesday again. Stop sneaking up on me." I placed a hand over my now racing heart. He glanced at me and then turned to Xavier.

"Huh. You actually showed up. Ever shot a bow and arrow before?" Xavier asked Wednesday and lowered his bow.

"Only on live targets."

"Okay." Xavier raised his eyebrows. "Square stance. Load the arrow like this, yellow side out. Three fingers. Pull back and... let it fly." Xavier explained while he demonstrated and missed once again. I picked up a bow myself and wanted to try to. I pulled back the arrow and launched. Completely missing the target altogether and almost hitting a fellow student walking past.

"Sorry!" I apologized. Xavier looked at me with slight concern before turning back to Wednesday.

"Uh... Any questions?" I sheepishly smiled and put the bow down.

"When's the last time you saw your roommate Rowan?" Wednesday asked, changing the subject. I sighed not really wanting to talk about Rowan again. What we witnessed that night was quite traumatizing.

"You mean the one that was killed by a monster?" Xavier picked up another arrow.

"Xavier." I said with disappointment. I hated that no one believed us but then again I wouldn't believe me either. We all saw Rowan very much alive and not dead.

"The Harvest Festival. I haven't talked to him since." Xavier answered. "But his side of the room was all packed up this morning. Rowan's always been a little off, but, uh, the last couple weeks he's been more erratic. You know, telekinesis can mess with your head, you know. He's... It started to freak me out." Xavier launched an arrow.

"So what's the deal with you and Tyler?" Xavier said, changing the subject. I rolled my eyes. I knew Xavier hated Tyler but I never really knew why. I hated it when Xavier brought up Tyler. He always has something bad to say about him. I walked away so I wouldn't have to listen to that conversation. I headed back to my dorm to work on homework.

💀💀💀

A few hours later I had to go to class. I sat at a table with Xavier. There was an open seat in between me and him. Wednesday walked over to the middle of the classroom looking for a place to sit.

"There's an open spot next to me. If you can stand sitting that close to an elitist snob." Xavier was drawing a spider in his sketchbook. I hated spiders that why a seat away from Xavier. I couldn't stand the sight of the spider even if it was just a drawing. Wednesday sat down in the empty seat in between me and Xavier. Xavier finished his drawing and used his special talent to bring the drawing to life. The spider crawled off the paper.

"I doubt Wednesday or Y/n is impressed with your tricks, Mr. Thorpe." Ms. Thornhill said, adjusting her glasses.

"Admit it, you're a little impressed." Wednesday glanced over at me. I stared at the spider with discomfort and fear. Wednesday noticed this. He tore his gaze off me and stared straight ahead, smacking his hand down on top of the spider. The spider exploded in a puff of black dust and the room erupted with laughter. Xavier closed his sketchbook when Ms. Thornhill began to talk.

"Wednesday, we're thrilled to have you join us on our journey into the world of carnivorous plants." Ms. Thornhill moved to stand in front of her desk. "Now... who can tell us the name of this beauty?" She gestured to a beautiful white flower in a glass casing. Bianca raised her hand before Ms. Thornhill even finished her sentence.

"Dendrophylax lindenii." Wednesday answered before Bianca could speak.

"Otherwise known as the ghost orchid." Bianca said, lowering her hand.

"First discovered on the Isle of Wight in 1854." Wednesday said.

"Very good, Wednesday. You may have competition for first chair, Bianca." Ms. Thornhill said impressed. The class 'oohed' and a muscle in Bianca's cheek twitched.

"Wednesday, perhaps you can identify the ghost orchid's greatest qualities."

"Resilience and adaptability. It's able to thrive in even the most hostile environments," he answered.

"But its mere presence can change the ecosystem, causing the established plants to reject it." Bianca chimed in, determined to be the best.

"Usually because the native species is allowed to thrive unchecked. Nothing a Weedwacker couldn't fix." Wednesday said his stare hard. Bianca smirked a little.

"You can most certainly try." I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. The tension in the air was thick.

"Are we still talking about flowers?" Xavier chimed in. The class laughed at his response. Wednesday and Bianca glared at each other for a few seconds before Bianca turned to Ms. Thornhill when she began speaking.

"Thank you, for those illuminating insights. Clearly, the plants aren't the only carnivores in class today." Ms. Thornhill joked.