𝟎𝟔 | 𝙋𝙚𝙧𝙞𝙥𝙚𝙩𝙚𝙞𝙖 |

𝙋𝙚𝙧𝙞𝙥𝙚𝙩𝙚𝙞𝙖 (𝙣.) 𝙖 𝙨𝙪𝙙𝙙𝙚𝙣 𝙤𝙧 𝙪𝙣𝙚𝙭𝙥𝙚𝙘𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙧𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙨𝙖𝙡 𝙤𝙛 𝙘𝙞𝙧𝙘𝙪𝙢𝙨𝙩𝙖𝙣𝙘𝙚𝙨; 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙥𝙤𝙞𝙣𝙩 𝙤𝙛 𝙣𝙤 𝙧𝙚𝙩𝙪𝙧𝙣

Days can last for eternities.

Or at least that was the case for me.

I underestimated what can happen in a span of a day. I couldn't comprehend how I started out from not being capable of containing my own power to being able to burn someone to ash. It humors me how rapidly things can change.

As cliché as it sounds, my life has always been nothing but ordinary. Every day consisted of the same routine; school, volunteer work, homework, repeat. I hardly experienced any exhilarating experiences. So when my life decided to change in the span of hardly a week, there's no doubt of the difficult toll it has taken me to adjust to what now has to be my new reality. It still feels like a dream....it's hard to accept what has happened.

And I can't lie about the undeniable fear I possess. To think that this is only the beginning of what's to come frightens me beyond comprehension. I was told what I am destined to do, yet I question if I'm even capable of such things.

There is no doubt that I possess a power that is truly certain of unimaginable possibilities.

But I believe it's a shame that I was the vessel destined to carry this power.

My grip on the steering wheel tightened as I thought about what happened tonight. The moments felt nothing but a mere blur as the energy inside of me had clouded my vision from its intensity. I watched the remains of ash from what remained of the man fly away into the dark.

I couldn't hold back the tear that escaped my eye at that moment. I also couldn't suppress the emotion of guilt that emerged. Who was I to take another person's life? Yet.... it felt like something that he deserved.

"You did well my child..." the faint whisper that was carried with the wind reassured me.

James laid unconscious on the floor, he would be okay, just very confused.

The single emotion of unconditional love carried in Harlow's tear was enough to bring him back. It still astonished me how love always prevails. And not even death can be a barrier to stop it.

As James started regaining consciousness Harlow helped him into his car. She told me she would call me later to address what happened, but she would bring him back home first. I gave her a quick nod before walking back to her car.

Which I was now in. Parked in front of my house. I let out a shaky break as I let go of the steering wheel. I knew it was late...really late.

I stared at my mother's car in the driveway. She was home already, and I assumed angry at me for my lateness. I felt exhausted but having this conversation with her was more important.

I reached the door and let myself in. My eyes immediately glued to the figure sitting his back towards me at the table.

In that second, I wanted nothing more than to disappear into nothingness. The wound in my heart that ached from the constant betrayal from the two people I loved the most, the two people that raised me, stung once more.

They both turned towards me at my sudden intrusion through the door.

And those eyes, that face I once trusted with all my heart stared at me.

But it was different this time, I didn't feel anything anymore.

"Michelle..." He sounded hesitant.

"What are you doing here?" I wanted to lock myself in my room until he was gone again.