Chapter 5

I snuck away from the dining room back to the bar I saw on the way in. "You got this girl, they're no better than you or I. Demand that respect. As graciously as possible of course."

Sage, the wonderful bartender, has been amazing at helping me build up some courage to get back into the party and mingle. Damn I hate small talk, what do I even say to these people?

She taps the bar to grab my attention and gestures behind me. I turn around and see the man that was sitting to my right earlier, slowly approaching. I turn back to Sage and she senses my apprehension and squeezes my arm before quickly leaving. As he gets closer, the air around me thickens and my heart races again. What the hell is my problem lately? I mean I know it's been awhile but, come on.

"I had a feeling that dress would suit you."

I know that voice. It got my attention real fast. He joins me, laying his black suit jacket on the stool next to him and unbuttoning the sleeves of his shirt, rolling them up before he leans his forearms on the bar watching Sage as she brings him his drink. His left arm is covered in a full sleeve tattoo of snakes, wings and flowers, the detail in it is amazing.

He must come here often enough that she knows his drink order. Fuck, I hope she doesn't tell him all the shit we just spoke about. I swear New York City is huge but strangely small at the same time when it seems like everyone knows each other to some extent.

"Were you the one who picked it out?" I ask and I spot a familiar set of lips I believe I saw wrapped around a joint last night.

"Along with the shoes and mask, yes." He smirks and the dimples give him away. I know this guy, shit.

"Hmm" I turn my body to face him and smile, "well hello Hayes. Do I have to be concerned that your worry for me has turned into some form of obsession?"

"Sophie," he slightly bows at me. "You have to admit, it is made for you. The perfect mix of, power and temptation, is it not? It definitely helped with your confidence tonight. I see a change from the Sophie standing here now and the one at the rooftop last night."

"Oh is that right? You know me well enough to spot that?" I shoot at him, he doesn't know me, I don't even know me.

"Oh" he chuckles, "much more than you think." Shit I forgot he's a board member, they took all those invasive tests yesterday, of course he knows all about me. And yes, more than I know myself.

"Totally not fair, you got everything about me on paper and I know nothing about you."

"Well, seems a nice turn of events from last night, don't you think?" Yeah, forgot about that too. I did regret not telling him my name last night but he's got that and more at this point so. "So you want to know more. I'd say you're the one getting obsessed Miss Knox." And I bite down on my lip fighting a smile at our banter.

"Question for you Hayes. For all my troubles. Tell me, what's with the cards?" He delivered me my cards, he's got to be behind it all.

"What do you mean? What's wrong with the cards?" He asks me with a slight smirk as he downs his drink. He knows exactly what's up with the cards and thinks this is a game. I'm not playing, I'm actually curious.

"You know what I mean, the hidden words and numbers, it's gotta mean something, no? Some kind of puzzle, or game?"

He turns and leans in close, his fingers lightly brushing my own, "Ionno, does it feel like an important detail to you Sophia?"