Chapter 15 🐘

After what seems like ages, I finally make it back to the foyer. It was harder finding my way back in the dark when I couldn't focus on anything besides the Sovrano's and seeing Hayes with Faye, feeling all types of betrayed right now.

Tony sees me walking towards him and his eyes widen in horror. "You're late Miss Sophie, please hurry."

"I know, I uh—I got lost."

Tony ushers me to the great hall and introduces me to a room full of people, way more than what I saw this morning, before walking backwards to the entrance leaving me to fend for myself.

All the light chatter halts and utensils drop. Every single face turns in my direction then swiftly darts to who I assume could only be Merikh's to see what happens next.

Everyone is dressed in elaborate ball gowns all in their masks and seated at separate round tables bordering the dance floor.

Merikh is in a realistic style skull mask half painted in black with a tall black ornamental crown sitting atop his head while next to him is his complete opposite. Elodie is draped in all white, with a stark white ornamental skull mask with a matching halo filigree crown.

I swear I can hear crickets in the room. Merikh's jaw ticks as he motions me over to an empty seat at one of the tables closest to him and the rest of the board. I spot Hayes and Faye sitting next to each other exchanging whispers. Yeah I'm late, no thanks to you, asshole.

"It's so nice of you to finally decide to grace us with your presence, Miss Knox. Could you please take your seat so that everyone can resume eating." He says tight lipped.

I start to quickly make my way to my seat, "sorry I got lost on —"

"That's enough!" Merikh interrupts as he slams his glass on the table, causing several gasps around the room. He takes his napkin from his lap, wipes his mouth before tossing it on the table and comes to standing.

"Now that we're all here, I'd like to introduce you all to this year's set of recruits. Could you all please stand, so everyone can see you." I stand back up slowly, spotting who I think is Evie, Callum and Inara all in different tables standing along with me.

Everyone left sitting all whisper and point at some of us, shaking or nodding their heads.

"You'll all have a bit of time to meet with any of them, should you desire, before the games begin. For now, finish your meals, have some drinks and dance. We have a very long and entertaining night ahead of us." Merikh sits back down, to finish his meal.

I look at the plate in front of me, filet minion with roasted vegetables. On any normal day, I'd be the first one done with this meal but my nerves have me cringing. I push my plate away and watch everyone around me. Most of the people have already gotten out of their seats to either mingle at different tables, order more liquor or dance on the dance floor.

There are more than a few drunk and obnoxiously loud people in different crowds throughout the large room and I mentally take note, not to head in their direction. I spot Evie and Inari at the bar and decide to head over.

There are a few newbies sitting at a table, sharing their cards with each other as I walk by. Interested in their conversation but not with participating, I keep towards the bar, but be sure to pass them on the way.

"None of the clues are the same." One of them say to the other. "Why aren't they the same?"

"I don't care, I'm writing them all down anyway." The other man says as he starts scribbling words and numbers on his hand. I quickly glance down.

Kitchen
Safe
Down
6, 19

Hmm. That is interesting. But if I think about it, this is a competition. Only one can win, right? I don't think us working together sharing our clues make any sense.