Chapter 14

The next room is not much different than the last, aside from the rows of seats full of the company's current employees and a large screen hanging on the far wall showing a slide that says,

Empresa
End of Year Meeting

I spot a few team members I met during the client calls these past couple of days. "Sophie! Come here!" One of them calls out, motioning me over to the rest of the group.

"Oh my gosh, it's so nice to finally meet you! I mean I know it's only been a few days but I feel like I've known you for ages." Judith, one of the account managers, says as she gives me a huge hug.

"Yes! You'll fit in perfect here, I know it. We all know it." Another one of the girls says and I smile because I feel good here with them too. I don't know what it is, but it feels... right.

"Okay everyone, please let's all take our seats." Elodie says as she takes her seat on the side of the stage as Merikh gets on the podium to test the mic. "New hires please sit at the front row."

I say a quick goodbye to the team and manage to grab a seat between Evie and Inari right as Merikh starts speaking.

"Welcome everyone to the Empresa end of year meeting. And what an amazing year it has been!"

The meeting is just like any standard corporate meeting, talking about all our goals and what we accomplished this year as well as financials and hopes for the new year. I have to give it to Merikh, he's a great speaker. He managed to get everyone in the room, including me, all riled up for the upcoming year and all the good we can do for Empresa.

All the good we can do.

Each board member had the chance to speak upon their roles and what they're working towards for the new year as well. And just when I think we're finally wrapping up, Merikh takes back the mic to address the room.

"Lastly, I'd like to welcome all of our new recruits here today." Merikh takes the mic with him as he joins us on the floor, walking along the front of the stage, looking at each of us as he passes.

"You know, there are many traits that we look for when we welcome someone into Empresa. Many of which we've already found in every single one of you through the tests you've endured over this past week, whether it be your DNA, your mental aptitude or even your perseverance to do what's necessary to get the job done." We all start to look at each other. I'm sure everyone's recalling all the embarrassing situations they've been put in these past several days.

"However, those tests weren't enough to dwindle the numbers down to just one, as you can see." He gestures his arms out towards our group of around 20 new recruits before proceeding.

"So, we are all gathered here today, to officially add to our union, of sorts." My palms start to sweat, I know this is it. They're going to announce who they're hiring. I've done everything I could do to prove to them that I'm more than worthy of this position and now I just wait and hope they call my name.

"And in order for us to welcome that one new permanent employee, we have organized a set of—trials. Just some games, really, that will prove to us which one of you sitting before us is the right person to fill the right seat."

Wait what? Games? Is he serious right now? All of us look around at each other equally confused as to what's going on.

"These games have actually been in play since your very first interview, and by the end of this longest night of the year, we look forward to finally having our newest employee join the ranks. And for extra incentive, the winner will be rewarded a $1,000,000 cash sign on bonus to do with whatever they wish."