Chapter 13

"You are coming. End of the story."

"Lindsey, I thought I was your boss."

"At Daisy's, yes. But when it comes to socializing, I am in charge. And I already rented the costumes, so" she shrugs.

This year the town is throwing a New Year's Eve party for "the younger folk" on the high school's gym, and it is a costumes party. The buzz around town for the past week has been crazy, everyone talking about what they are going to wear so no one repeats an outfit.

"Please tell me they are nice costumes. Nothing like sexy nurse or something like that."

"Nah, I keep those for Halloween. Though these ones are kind of sexy, because we are wearing a corset that will put our boobs on our throats."

"We are supposed to make it to the new year, not die before it even starts" I chuckle.

"We'll be fine. Trust me" Lindsey says with a wink.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"You look so hot."

"And any minute now, purple. Did you really need to make it so tight?" I say, trying to move the corset so I can breath a bit better.

"It'll start to get loose, you'll see."

"Wow, girls. Wow."

"Hi, Dec."

"You both look stunning!"

"We or our boobs? Because you can't stop looking at them" Lindsey says.

"Both? Or should I say... The four of you? No, wait, six. Math isn't my thing."

"What are you dressed as?" I ask him before Lindsey hits him.

"Real Madrid David Beckham" he says, showing us the back of his shirt.

"Oh, so that's why you are wearing that horrible wig."

"It's not that bad" he says, touching it. "I may let my hair grow like this."

"No! Don't you dare do that to your hair" I say. "You know I am its biggest fan."

"I won't touch it, your majesty" he says with a bow.

"Oh, wow" Ben says behind him. Ben, and Mason.

"What are you two dressed as?" Lindsey asks them, trying not to laugh.

"I've forgotten, I'm too distracted" Ben says, his eyes focused on the same place where Declan's were.

"He is Manchester United Beckham, and I am England National Team Beckham" Mason says. He only has eyes for me, though they are going from head to toe and back again, making me feel goosebumps everywhere.

"Interesting idea" Lindsey says.

"What about you?" Ben asks us.

"Can't you tell, bro? They are Marie Antoinette and Anne Boleyn!" Declan says, pointing first at Lindsey and then at me.

"Oh..." Ben says.

"Really, Benjamin? Declan knows who we are, and you don't?" I say.

"You are... Queens, right?"

"Queens who lost their heads" Lindsey points out.

"You look beautiful" Mason says, still looking just at me.

"Thank you" I reply.

"Anyway, why don't we go find us some drinks, uh? What do their majesties want?" Ben asks.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Come, let's dance" Mason says, grabbing my good hand.

"Just don't spin me like crazy like you always do, ok? I don't want to end the year feeling all dizzy."

"I'll try not to" he says with a cheeky smile.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Mason! No spinning!" I say again, laughing. I've lost count of how many times I've told him to stop.

"But look at the way your dress moves!"

"Yeah, the same way the contents of my stomach are moving."

"Always complaining" he says, grabbing me by the waist and pulling me closer to him while I put my arms around his neck. We are on the same position we were when we first kissed, that same electricity going through us. "Can I ask you something, your majesty?"

"I like how your majesty sounds. It's a lot better than Miss Daisy."

"Nah... It doesn't feel the same. But can I ask you something or not?"

"Go ahead."

"Can I be your last kiss of the year?"

"Yes" I say, speaking before thinking, and completely ignoring the fact that we are surrounded by people and that anyone could see us.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Girl, finally! Where were you?"

"I was with... Rúben, hi."

"Your majesty" he says, doing a big bow.

"Didn't you get the memo that this was a costumes party?"

"What?" he asks with a confused look.

"You are wearing a suit. You wear a suit almost every day."

"That's what I told him too" Lindsey says.

"This is not a suit, it's a tuxedo. I'm James Bond."

"Oh..." I say, trying not to laugh.

"Don't I look good?" he asks, arching an eyebrow.

"You always look good, Rúben."

"That's what I thought" he says with a cheeky smile.

"Anyway," Lindsey says "should we get ourselves some champagne before the countdown starts? Or Mr. Bond prefers a Martini?"

"Champagne will be fine, thank you" he replies.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Three... Two... One... Happy new year!"

"Happy new year, boss!" Lindsey screams while hugging me and kissing me on both cheeks.

"Happy new year!" I scream back.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"I thought she would never leave" Rúben says once Lindsey has gone to talk with some friends.

"Rude" I laugh.

"I just wanted to properly wish you a happy new year with no one bothering us. So happy new year."

"Happy new year, Rúben."

"You have lipstick on your face, I just noticed" he chuckles.

"What?" I say, touching it.

"Let me" he says, licking his thumb and cleaning my face while holding it with the other hand. It's like the first time we kissed, though with lipstick instead of marmalade. And I'm feeling the same, the same warmth going through my body while I pray for my knees to not give up. "Done."

"Really?"

"Really. But can I ask you something?" he says, still holding my face.

"Ok" I whisper.

"Can I be your first kiss of the year?"

I just nod, my ability to speak completely gone.

"You need to talk to me, moving your head isn't enough" he says with a smirk.

"Yes. You can."

"Good girl" he says before leaning forward and kissing me.