Chapter Twenty-three

A week later.

Nedu stepped out of a supermarket holding some groceries, his head ached badly and he felt he needed some sleep. He entered his car and started the engine before driving to his office.

Just as he was about to turn to a bend, a driver in a Lexus car who seemed to have lost his brakes slammed into Nedu's car. Loud screams escaped the lips of the people that happened to see the accident.

Nedu's car somersaulted twice into a green vegetation. The culprit sped off immediately and while some people went after him, others tried to bring Nedu out of the  car. The rest as usual were capturing the scene with their phones.

***
Ije threw down the knife she was using to peel orange as soon as the caller spilled the beans. "Your husband had an accident, Ije. Rush to general hospital now"

It was an unknown number but the person seemed to know her. She threw on a shirt gown and grabbed her car keys. She was scared of driving but she was also scared for Nedu's life and her pregnancy if she took a transport. She instructed Sinachi to open the garage and not minding how dirty the car looked, she climbed into it and drove away.

On getting to the hospital, a nurse directed her to the waiting room where she met Lotanna and Dumaga, their father, her father-in-law sat on one of the hospital seats with his hands on his chin.

"Where's Nedu?" Ije cried.

Lotanna held her.  "Ije, calm down, he is in the ICU"

Tears ran down Ije's cheeks. "What happened? Oh Lord, what happened?"

"Ije, take it easy please" Dumaga cried.

Ije sat down heavily on a chair shaking her legs frantically.

***
Tobe and Neche arrived an hour later. "Ije, what am I hearing?" Tobe asked.

Ije glared at him before lowering her eyes to the ground.

"Why are you asking stupid question in this situation kwanu?"  Lotanna hissed.

Tobe folded his arms and dropped his face.

The doctor entered the waiting room peeling off his gloves that were stained with blood and throwing them into the waste bin by the corner.

"I'm sorry" he told Lotanna and Ije gazed up sharply. "This is more than we can handle, he sustained internal injuries and serious head injuries, I'm afraid that if he wakes up, he might lose his memory temporarily"

"Jesus!" Ije exclaimed and the doctor turned to her.

"It is only temporarily if serious care is taken, I'll refer you to a private hospital of your choice... I'm afraid we don't have enough equipments for treatment".

Dumaga and Lotanna exchanged glances.

***
He felt a palm touch his face. He blinked and groaned. His eyelids were heavy.

"It's okay, you don't have to open your eyes"

It was a feminine voice. Strangely familiar yet it didn't feel right.

He opened his eyes to see an aggressively beautiful lady gazing down at him.

"Oh, hubby, I missed you!" She threw her arms around his neck.

Hubby? He threw a confused look at her.

"Oh, don't worry, the doctor said stuffs like this will happen, like you not remembering me. She laughed crazily. "I'm your wife, remember, Ije"

He shook his head and groaned.

"Do you need anything? Do I call the doctor?"

"Yes, please" he voice came out as a croak.

The lady sashayed out of the room to call the doctor and as she left, Nedu spotted her bulging tummy.

Seconds later, another lady came in, dark in complexion, not too beautiful but very attractive, she was also pregnant!

She had an innocent smile on her face when she noticed that Nedu was awake.

"How are you doing?" She asked touching the bandages that covered the numerous injuries he had sustained.

He stared at her with a confused look.

"I know... You don't remember... Don't stress your brain okay?"

"Where's my wife?" He managed to speak.

"I'm your wife" she replied.

Nedu sighed. "Stop playing with my mind"

"What?" She asked surprised.

"Where. Is. Ije?" He asked placing emphasis on each word.

The lady had started sobbing. "Nedu, what are you saying? I am Ije"

***
Anulika cuddled Ije. "The doctor said he will have a temporary memory loss abi?, Don't worry, he will remember who his wife is indeed, okay?"

"But he didn't believe that I am Ije. He was like that there's another Ije that I'm a liar" Ije sobbed.

"Was there another female in the ward?"

"It's a private ward, there was none that I know of. Even Dumaga was not present when he woke up.

"Hmmm" Anulika let out a deep breath. "I might say he's just assuming, but at times, some little things should be taken serious, you know?"

Ije nodded.

A knock came at the sitting room door and Sinachi opened it revealing Dumaga.

"Ije, are you ready?" She asked walking towards the duo.

"What do you mean?"

"He was telling me to carry my food away that you are bringing food for him"

"Not me, he wouldn't even speak to me" Ije sighed.

"So what does he mean? Is he mentally ill?"

"Nna, my sister oh, I don't know"

Dumaga fixed her hand on her jaw. "Ije, we will have to tell the doctor, Papa is worried" she complained.

Hiiii!
How was your Christmas? Hope you enjoyed it?

Nedu had an accident 🤧 and he has lost his memory.
Who do you think the other Ije is ? And what do you think will happen next?
Hope this chapter was worth the trouble?

Vote, share and comment.

Happy holidays.