Prologue

Joe was tired of everything going on, tired of his caretaker's general being, and especially tired of being the only kid in this whole town who hasn't gotten their magic yet.

He was going to find out why.

"Joe!" The woman taking care of him called for him. "Get down here!"

He sighed, and walked down the stairs.

This woman wanted to send him to the camp where kids go when they don't develop magic.

"That's for ten year olds!" Joe was appalled. "I'm only four!"

"Don't yell at me, Joe!" The woman shouted back.

Joe flinched, and ran off.

"Get back here!"

He didn't come back, he ran. He ran out of the city and down to the shore. A group of tevinte swarmed the young boy. They made little sounds, and Joe's head ringed with words.

Follow. Follow. Important.

So he followed the little creatures. The young hippocampi lead him down along the shore, and into the archipelago.

"I can't go there, little tevinte, I'll drown," He spoke quietly to the fish.

The tevinte still wanted him to come, and they lifted him up with their magic and carried him very quickly past the islands and eventually the mountain. They set him back on land in the savannah.

He pointed to the village there, but the words ringed in his head again.

Here. Soon. Soon.

He stood there, in the tall grass. He grabbed some of the grass near him and ripped it off its blades.

Suddenly, a voice came, yelling. He looked up, and saw the figure of another four year old kid, falling down towards him.

He threw up his arms in protection and shut his eyes, waiting for the sound of a child hitting the ground, but it never came.

He opened his eyes, and the silver haired boy was suspended just off the ground, held up by vines.