How to Write: Batgirl

There are 2 very interesting versions of Barbara Gordon to use for your story--Batgirl and Oracle--that would both be beneficial to your story. They are also more flexible than writing Jason Todd(discussed previously) on the matter that both versions of "Babs" could exist at almost any point in time, as long as it's after Joker shot her spine. The reason for this is because the shattered spine caused Barbara to become Oracle in the first place, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. First, I'd like to discuss the versions you will most likely be using, Batgirl.

Batgirl is the son of Commissioner Gordon, which does say a lot about her upbringing. Her father is one of the only (or perhaps the only) cop in Gotham with a pure, incorruptible heart and soul for justice. Barbara was raised the same way. Nobody asked her to accompany Batman and the others on adventures like Batman did Richard and Jason. Like Tim, she volunteered. She found her own way to do justice, free from the corrupt hierarchy the police has to follow. One thing to note is that Commissioner Gordon has a pure heart, but his higher-ups such as the mayor likely do not. This limits the amount of good an officer of the corrupt law pike Gordon can do. Barbara found a way at fight crime without limits as to whom she can serve justice to. She does set personal limits(such as not killing, as Batman wants), but she isn't being controlled by the government. Beyond that, she is also one of the hearts of the Batfamily alongside Tim Drake, Dick Grayson, and Alfred. She brings people together and tries to understand them best she can. That isn't to say, however, that she is soft. She's kind but fierce and heroic, and won't let people stand in her way of dealing out justice. If she is being written pre-back injury, note that Barbara Gordon hasn't yet suffered trauma like Dick Grayson(his parent's death) and Jason Todd(his parent's death, his death) have. Thus, she likely I more stress free than the others on the team. If, however, you use her after her recovery from the back injury, she will definitely still feel vulnerable. There are several different ways to show her trauma in this case. Is she still weak from her long stay in the wheelchair and recent back recovery? Is she out kf practice or off her game? Does Does your a newfound hatred for time Joker who is this to her in the first place? Has her relationship with her father changed at all during or after this time I her life? Is she--my favorite option--terrified of the injury happening again? These can be chosen individually, in combos, or heck even all of them! Just don't overstress yourself with writing all these aspects into her character. She is important to the Batman mythos, but so is everyone in the mythos! You'll need brain space for the rest of them.

On to Oracle, things are quite different from her days as Batgirl. However, one fact doesn't change--she found her own way to fight crime, despite her bad situations. She, wheelchair-bound and emotionally scarred, continued to help the Batfamily as a sort of tech support, replacing Alfred's job on the team and feeding the heroes information as they save the day--er, night. I'd say that now in her life story is when she works as emotional support more often than even Batgirl, now that she has so much time on her hands and knows the pain of a loss of something/someone that can never be brought back. The only two drawbacks I can see in using Oracle--partly why I think you will be most likely going with Batgirl--is the less representation in the story and the replacing of Alfred. As Lracle, she's bound to be in the spotlight less than the other heroes. But no worries! If you do care a lot about representation I will way, you have plenty of other options in Catwoman, Orphan, Spoiler, and Harley Quinn(all characters we will get to eventually). As for Alfred? That will indeed be tough. Since Barbara will likely play a heavy supportive and tech supportive role, she takes up any story use for Alfred and may outshine him. But with enough thought and a little creativity, you should be able to work it out.

Both are great options for Barbara Gordon, and I believe you can do great with either! I would just advise tht you don't pressure yourself to do both.