Chapter 9 - When There Was... You

Sadie's POV -

-

Weeks and weeks went by with still no news of Paige. Finally, Sadie lost hope, and decided to put the past behind her.

She decided to let people into her life again, knowing she had to move on. She couldn't stay depressed forever...

-

So, one day, when an unexpected knock assaulted the door, Sadie didn't bother getting up to check to see who it was.

Jacey, who was the only other family member in the house at the moment, did so instead.

"Jacey, I told you it's not worth it!" She went to yank her younger sister back onto the couch, but the smaller redhead didn't listen, and twisted herself out of the grip.

The knocking continued, and Sadie turned her back on the front door. Seconds later, she heard Jacey gasp.

"Sadie! Come look who's at the door! They want to see you!" she hollered.

Groaning, the older redhead reluctantly pulled herself up off the couch and to the door.

Who she saw made her almost topple over.

"Paige?!"

Her girlfriend's blue eyes were void of the brightness that once had flowed through, and her blonde hair was matted, having lost some of the color from it.

Sadie didn't waste any time pulling the blonde into her arms for a hug, not caring in the slightest that her sister was standing beside them.

"I'm... sorry. I um..." Paige's voice was hoarse, most likely from not speaking for days on end.

"I thought I lost you!" Tears were slipping down Sadie's pale face, and she didn't bother trying to stop them.

But Paige quickly wiped them away, pausing hugging her for a moment.

"Jesus Christ, don't ever scare me like that again!"