Chapter 4

One week later [1.5 hours til the exam.]

Alex woke with a start. At the side of his bed stood his father, shaking his shoulder.

"Wake up sleepyhead, or you're going to be late."

"Huh? Hmmm, five more minutes." Alex grumbled, pulling the cover up to his chin.

"Nope."

His father grinned as he sent a shock of electricity into Alex's body with his quirk.

"Now get dressed. I'm driving you there." he said as Alex jumped up with a yelp and started cursing.

"Fuck you dad. You could just pull off the cover, but fuck that, you decided to resort to violence."

Oliver laughed at his son's temper and went downstairs to make breakfast.

When Alex came downstairs, he was still muttering curse words under his breath. While glaring at his dad, he ate his breakfast in silence, downed a full mug of coffee in one go, and put on his jacket.

"Hurry up old man. We're going to be late." he said in a mocking voice as he waited for his father to put on his shoes and find his car keys.

"Oh, don't get smart with me, you little piece of shit." Olliver retorted.

For a second they looked at each other. Then, they both burst out in laughter. While laughing, they got into the car and drove off.

After a couple of minutes, Oliver said, "You know, I have missed these little banters. Remember we used to do this all the time?"

Alex didn't reply.

Immediately Oliver realized his mistake. "Oh, of course. Sorry."

Alex let out a sigh and looked at his father.

"No. it's okay. I missed it too."

For the rest of the ride, they drove in silence.

They arrived ten minutes before the exam started. Alex got out and turned around to look at his dad.

"Knock'm out," Oliver told him. Alex gave thumbs-up and headed for the main entrance.

"Oh, Alex, before I forget. This was his. I want you to have it. I've been holding onto it for long enough now."

Alex looked back and saw his dad holding a chain necklace with a black ring hanging on it.

He took it and hung it around his neck, holding the ring in his hand.

"Thanks." He whispered tears in his eyes.

A voice sounded over the UA announcement system. "All candidates for the Hero course entrance exam, report to auditorium Alfa in five minutes."

"Gotta run," Alex said.

After asking a passing student where he could find the auditorium, Alex arrived just in time.

To his surprise, there were only nine others

Oh, wait. These must all be recommended to students. Alex realized.

Then he saw two familiar faces.

As they turned around they recognized him as well and came towards him.

"You here too?" Rhone asked. "I shouldn't be surprised actually. You did save my ass a month ago."

"I told you we would meet him again," Xiao said to the blonde girl.

The conversation was interrupted when a voice cut through the room.

"Welcome to the UA entrance exam you wet blankets."