𝙞. community

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

The Little Mermaid
chapter one

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

chapter one.
community.

                    IF IT WASN'T FOR HER BOYFRIEND, ELINA PERRY WOULD HAVE NEVER RECONNECTED WITH HER OLDER SISTER

IF IT WASN'T FOR HER BOYFRIEND, ELINA PERRY WOULD HAVE NEVER RECONNECTED WITH HER OLDER SISTER. And if it wasn't for Britta and her way with words, Elina would have never enrolled at Greendale Community College.

She didn't feel like she needed a college degree. She had a job, an apartment, and a plan for her life. She was on her way to greatness, but the moment Britta batted her lashes at her and begged her to enroll, she did. She never could say no to Britta, even when she knew that what she had planned would get her in trouble.

Upon her time at Greendale, she had noticed just how... small it is. The dean was a bit of a weirdo, but he was nice to Elina. She was sitting on the square with Britta, a book open on her older sister's lap. Elina had an open bag of Twizzlers in her backpack, digging through for a new piece as she scrolled through her cellphone.

"I can't do this," Britta sighed, slamming her book closed. Elina looked up for a brief moment before turning her attention back onto her phone. "That's not true," she replied, her tone gentle. Britta huffed in annoyance at her sister.

"I'm serious, Ellie. I cannot retain this Spanish. It's like I have an ad-blocker in my brain." Sensing the seriousness within Britta's tone, Elina locked her phone and gave her her full, undivided attention. Her head tilted curiously. "Well, have you tried memorizing the words with music?" she asked. "I hear that it helps a lot."

Britta scoffed. "No," she answered. "And I don't think that would help me." Elina shrugged, pointing her half eaten piece of Twizzler toward her sister. Britta's eyes landed on the chewed candy for a moment before meeting her eyes once more. "Spanish is pretty easy, in my opinion," Elina sighed. "I could always help you. Tutor you like you tutored me in Civics class."