Chapter 22: One Dark Month

Harry never had such a quick Christmas break in his entire life. Within a few days, which felt like only a day, they were all on the scarlet engine of Hogwarts Express, journeying back to Hogwarts. Before that, the parents of the tributes were weeping on platform nine and three-quarters. A few even tried to enter the train. To them, the idea of the mysterious Snitch was bad enough. They were terrified that their children might be the one. But they had no idea what the Hunger Games was like before. And they definitely never put much thought of how obvious who the Snitch was. Though, if their mind was like that, so would their children who would be playing the Games. In that way, Harry would be less embattled in the arena. At the same time, didn't he want to die early so to save twenty-three people, especially after discovering that he had been chosen as the Snitch?

He had this sudden mad thought of voicing it aloud. He thought of doing it on the train, telling everyone that he was the Snitch. But that would be mental, adding to the fact that nearly the whole school was already betting that he was the Snitch. And he wouldn't like the look of triumph of Draco Malfoy's face if he knew. So far, the only thing Malfoy liked about Harry was how he never missed ending up in trouble. This one; there was no way Harry was going to escape it. And seeing Malfoy happy was like stabbing himself in the eye over and over again. So in the end, Harry was praying that he and his nemesis wouldn't come face to face with each other when they were in one of the arenas soon.

On the contrary, Harry was still puzzled after Snape's visit at The Burrow during the Christmas break - especially after what Ron said. "But doesn't it look like he's trying to tell you something?" They didn't discuss the topic that much further then, when Harry himself had no idea what Snape was talking about. He had this kind of debate going on in his mind, telling him whether or not Ron was right. Tell me something? He kept thinking. More like trying to frighten me to death. He had asked Ginny if she had a clue. But she was as blank as him. Just to make sure things were supposed to be the way they should be, Harry asked Hermione whether Snape had visited her. She didn't deny it, all right. But Snape didn't say anything that came as suspicious to her. Either because she was Muggle-born or Harry was an exception. But even if he did try to tell Harry something, he would have done it somewhere more private.

"Maybe you weren't listening closely," said Ron hopefully to Hermione about Snape visiting her.

"Excuse me, but who has been lending you notes and helping you with your works all these years when you were not paying attention?" Hermione snapped.

"Just a thought, 'Mione, calm down," said Ron defensively. "Where's the old lady with the food cart? I'm starving."

Harry didn't buy anything when the food cart arrived. He didn't even take the Cauldron Cakes when Ron offered him some. He was too occupied with himself, staring out the window where the clouds started to block the dazzling sun. Hermione, too, was busy with herself. She was immersed with her new copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard she got from Ron for Christmas. It might just be her last present. And to Harry, this was just the last time ever that he was riding the Hogwarts Express. He didn't think of that until now. Within three months, he will be in the arena and come out without a single life in him except for his name, which will only be a legend. At least I'll be doing them a favour, he kept thinking.

Harry only moved that evening to change into his Hogwarts robes. After that, he sat quite in their compartment, his stomach growling. He asked if Ron had any of the Cauldron Cakes left and ate the whole thing when he was offered. Hermione simply shook her head. She had put her book down and now was muttering some incantations under her breath and looking narked at the same time. Something silvery emanated from the tip of her wand but simply vanished into thin air. This seemed to upset her as it repeated over and over again, with Ron sneaking looks at her because it was very rare for Hermione to fail at something. That was when Harry noticed that she was trying to produce a Patronus. She kept tutting every now and then.