Surat Maryam: Verses 1-98

Background of surah Maryam:

Surah Maryam is a makkan surat meaning it was revealed to the prophet (pbuh) when in Mecca and before he (pbuh) migrated to Madinah.This surat was revealed during the 4th/5th year of the prophet (pbuh)'s prophethood so Islam is still new and growing. There are 98 verses and the messages are about tawhid as the people of Mecca were polytheistic. To us tawhid is 100% logical but to them it was the most illogical thing they've ever heard of. They believed in multiple idols and devoted their lives to them. The muslims were being treated badly by the mushriks just because they believed in tawhid and soon hostility turned into persecution. Surah Maryam revealed before some of the Muslims migrated to Abyssinia so this surah is a gift to the Muslims as it educates us about Christianity. Abyssinia was the land of the Christians and since Allah swt is the All-Knowing, He knew they would soon have to take refuge in Abyssinia so Allah gifted us this surah to inform us about Zakariya (as), Maryam (as) and Isa (as). When we are travelling to a new area, it's always good to know some details about that place and people so here Allah swt taught them some things about Christianity.

VERSE 1

Kaf, Ha, Ya, 'Ayn, Sad.

The surah starts off with hurufs (letters). Letters disjointed don't have any meaning but together they form words and are meaningful. So Allah swt starts the surah with disjointed letters because:

when we hear it, it grabs our interest and we wonder what do the letters mean? Allah swt reminds us that we don't know everything. We can guess what the letters stand for and mean but we don't know for sureAllah swt is making a statement here basically saying that these very letters that the Arabs use in speech and writing is what the Qur'an was written in. The only difference is that these are Allah's words and they are incomparable to that of any human's.No one can write a book like the Qur'an despite the Qur'an being revealed in their own language.

 VERSE 2

[This is] a mention of the mercy of your Lord to His servant Zechariah

What will be mentioned in the next few verses is a mercy from Allah swt to Zakariya (as). In this verse, primarily prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is being addressed but us as well so here we learn about the story of Zakariya (as).

Zakariya (as) was a prophet from children of Israel. He (as) was also the guardian of Maryam (as). Notice Allah swt calls Zakariya (as) His servant in the verse. This is because Zakariya (as) truly did show his servitude to Allah swt.

VERSE 3

When he called to his Lord a private supplication.

Zakariya (as) called Allah swt quietly and secretly (making du'aa). His du'aa was loud in voice but soft in volume meaning it was a very passionate and hopeful du'aa.

*From this we learn that when we make du'aa, our hearts need to be awake first then words will follow. Allah swt does not ignore the du'aa and prayer that a servant makes with all his heart.

*We also learn about the benefits of secret du'aa. Secret du'aas are sincere as they are a private convo between servant and Allah swt; so you can be yourself and ask Allah swt whatever you want.

VERSE 4

He said, "My Lord, indeed my bones have weakened, and my head has filled with white, and never have I been in my supplication to You, my Lord, unhappy.