Surah Al-Ikhlas: Verses 1-4

BACKGROUND OF THIS SURAH:

Revealed after surah An-Nas. Surah is one of the 2 surahs of ikhlas(teach us about oneness of Allah). The other surah of ikhlas is surah kafiroon. This surah has many names such as Surah At-Tawhid, Al-Asas (the foundation) because the foundation of Islam is tawhid, Al-aman (the safety) because whoever believes and follow this surah they will be saved from dunya and akhirah.

*Surah Ikhlas was liked by prophet pbuh. He pbuh use to recite this surah in sunnah of fajr and maghrib, and many other times because this surah tells us about Allah swt.

VERSE 1

Say, "He is Allah , [who is] One,

The prophet pbuh is told to inform the people, those who ask and those who don't that Allah is one and unique. This is the message of the Qur'an. The prophet pbuh was sent for this message that there is no God but Allah. A companion reported that the mushriks asked prophet pbuh about the lineage of Allah swt because the idols they worshipped were images and forms they created themselves. Some idols were images of righteous people of the past so wanted to know about Allah's lineage. Allah answers the question and the answer is Allah has no lineage. He is one.

Some companions loved this surah so much that use to recite this surah in every salah, in every rakat. The prophet pbuh said their love for this surah will make them enter jannah. This surah tells us who Allah swt is so whoever loves Allah swt will love this surah.

*From Bukhari we learn reciting this surah is like reciting a third of the Qur'an. The Qur'an is made up of 3 main themes: tawhid, stories/incidents, and laws/commands. Surah ikhlas summarises what tawhid means. So reading it is like reading all the other surahs that covers the theme of tawhid.

VERSE 2

Allah , the Eternal Refuge.

Allah is the one who is eternal, does not suffer from any change, doesn't die, have no heirs, no deficiency, and most perfect. Allah is the one who the entire creation relies and turns to Him. Allah needs no one but everyone and everything needs him.

VERSE 3

He neither begets nor is born,

Allah has no lineage and does not need children. In order to have a children, you need a partner and your partner is similar to you but there is no one like Allah swt so impossible for Allah to have a partner and Allah is in no need of a partner. We as creations need children so our lineage can go on after us and so we have heirs. We are weak and mortal but Allah needs no lineage nor heirs. Allah is Ever-Living and Ever-Lasting.

VERSE 4

Nor is there to Him any equivalent."

There is no one who is equal to Allah swt whether in appearance, status, knowledge, etc. Allah is unique and above all the creation. From surah Furqan, verse 2 Allah says,

"He to whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth and who has not taken a son and has not had a partner in dominion and has created each thing and determined it with [precise] determination."

When Allah is the Creator, then how can there be anything that can be similar to Allah swt?