Surah Al-Ahqaf: Verses 1-35

BACKGROUND OF SURAH:

It's a late Makkan surah meaning the surah was revealed during the time when the prophet (pbuh) was still in Makkah but soon the prophet (pbuh) will migrate to Madinah. The themes found in the surah is difference between being humble verse being arrogant.

VERSE 1

Ha, Meem.

The surah begins with huroof al muqatta'at (disjointed letters). No one knows the meaning behind them except Allah swt.

VERSE 2

The revelation of the Book is from Allah , the Exalted in Might, the Wise.

Allah swt is the one who has sent the Qur'an and Allah swt is the All-Mighty and All-Wise so ultimately Qur'an also full of wisdom.

VERSE 3

We did not create the heavens and earth and what is between them except in truth and [for] a specified term. But those who disbelieve, from that of which they are warned, are turning away.

This entire creation was created for a purpose and will only exist for a period of time. But those who disbelieve don't recognise this and instead of believing, they turn away. Just like all the other creations have a fixed time, we do too and one day we will die. The fact that we aren't here forever proves that our life has a purpose to it and the knowledgeable ones live their lives with death in mind.

VERSE 4

Say, [O Muhammad], "Have you considered that which you invoke besides Allah ? Show me what they have created of the earth; or did they have partnership in [creation of] the heavens? Bring me a scripture [revealed] before this or a [remaining] trace of knowledge, if you should be truthful."

The people of Makkah were idol worshippers and they only believed in their idols because it wa the practice of their forefathers. Despite Islam making sense and legitimate proofs presented to them they disbelieved so here their idol worship is being challenged. Great claims require great proofs so Allah swt tells the prophet (pbuh) to tell them to show him (pbuh) what part of the earth have their idols created? Or to ask them if their idols have a share in the skies? In addition they are challenged to bring a book from the sky that proves that they were told to worship idols or bring some established knowledge that proves idol worship to be correct.

The oneness of Allah swt is being proven here. Only Allah swt is the Creator so only He deserves to be worshipped.

*From this we learn that we can't believe in something just because someone said so. Belief requires solid and legitimate proofs and that is divine scripture revealed by Allah swt to His prophets or established facts based sound research and knowledge.

VERSE 5

And who is more astray than he who invokes besides Allah those who will not respond to him until the Day of Resurrection, and they, of their invocation, are unaware.

Those who call on other than Allah swt is astray. Its unfortunate that they have chosen to idols instead of Allah as their idols will never respond to their calls and can never help them. In the verse it says their idols won't respond to them until day of judgement which is a figure of speech; it basically means they will never respond to them. If the idols didn't respond to them in the dunya (worldly life) then they obviously won't respond on day of judgement. Their idols are heedless of their prayers.

VERSE 6

And when the people are gathered [that Day], they [who were invoked] will be enemies to them, and they will be deniers of their worship.