Surah Al-Baqarah: Verses 1-29

Background:

The prophet (pbuh) said recite surah Al-Baqarah for reciting it is a means of blessings and leaving it is a cause of grief and the magicians cannot counter it. This is a surah that chases shaytwan away. The prophet (pbuh) said do not turn your houses into graveyards, shaytwan runs away from the house in which surah Baqarah is recited.

VERSE 1

Alif, Lam, Meem.

Huruf muqatta'at

VERSE 2

This is the Book about which there is no doubt, a guidance for those conscious of Allah -

Taqwa is the foundation to good deeds because it is not possible that one fears Allah swt and does wrong. And if he does make a mistake, then the fear of Allah swt will cause him to repent. Taqwa is to walk carefully in this life. Allah swt has revealed this book, the Qur'an for those who fear Him and for their benefit.

VERSE 3

Who believe in the unseen, establish prayer, and spend out of what We have provided for them,

Those who fear Allah are those who believe in the unseen, establish prayer and spend from what they have. Whatever they have been given, they don't consider it to be just for themselves. They aren't stingy with the gifts that Allah swt has given them. Rather they share those gifts whether it be money, food, a good thought, knowledge, whatever Allah swt has given them they give to others. And from what they give, Allah gives them more because of their good actions. A believer must believe that Allah swt is His Lord alone and that Muhammad (pbuh) is His prophet, there is death, resurrection and Allah's decree. All 4 are part of the unseen world.

VERSE 4

And who believe in what has been revealed to you, [O Muhammad], and what was revealed before you, and of the Hereafter they are certain [in faith].

Believers believe in the hereafter which makes them live their lives carefully.

VERSE 5

Those are upon [right] guidance from their Lord, and it is those who are the successful.

These people are those who are successful.

VERSE 6

Indeed, those who disbelieve - it is all the same for them whether you warn them or do not warn them - they will not believe.

Some people are soft-hearted and Allah's guidance touches them while others hearts' are hard and no matter how much they are warned, their hearts remain unaffected. They reject guidance so they too become rejected.

VERSE 7

Allah has set a seal upon their hearts and upon their hearing, and over their vision is a veil. And for them is a great punishment.

Allah has placed a seal upon the disbelievers hearts and hearing and their vision has been veiled meaning they cannot be affected by warning anymore.

VERSE 8

And of the people are some who say, "We believe in Allah and the Last Day," but they are not believers.

There are 3 types of people:

1) Believer believes in the outward and in their hearts

2) Disbeliever disbelieves outwardly and in their hearts

3) Hypocrites pretend to believe outwardly but disbelieve in the heart

What hypocrites say contradict what's in their hearts.