5. The Accident

Aliya: Splatfest is Nine weeks out. We've done a lot of work so far, but still have a lot to go.

Meggy: She's right. Luigi, Tari, I need you three to focus on your movement speeds today. Mario, Douglas, Aliya, you're going to work on split second actions, such as hitting targets within a certain timeframe.

Douglas: Pfft. Easy.

Meggy: ...Blindfolded.

Douglas: What!? That's insane!

Aliya: Are you sure that's even possible?

Meggy: You'll have to rely on sound and coordinate your attacks. You never know when the enemy might sneak up on you, and you cannot see them.

Mario: I guess that's fair.

Douglas: Boi!

Mario: I think it'll be a nice challenge.

Tari: Why...Are me and Luigi not a part of this?

Meggy: I'll make sure to have you two do this sometime tomorrow. I want to make sure you can hit targets rapidly and dodge paint.

Luigi: I am a bit out of shape, so that's completely logical.

Mario: I'm pretty sure it's been a while for all of us.

Meggy: Alright. You know your stations. Let's get moving!

Luigi and Tari take off towards a movement based obstacle course, which is what the others would be focusing on the next day.

Everyone else made their way over to a large open platform, where there would be targets fixed with low sounding sirens on them.
They would come up, make a sound, then drop back down after three seconds of being raised.

Meggy explained these concepts to her friends before handing each of them a blindfold.

Each of them lined up, spread about fifteen feet apart, as to not accidentally shoot each other.

Meggy walked along each person to check their blindfold, making sure none of them would cheat in any way by peeking.

She slowed down as she was approaching Mario. She messed with him a bit by making him believe she was on his left when she was actually to the right.

Mario: Uh, hey?

Meggy: Hey.

Mario: What—You're over here? Where are you?

Meggy: Red, I'm right here.

She was trying to hold back laughter, her hand resting on his shoulder. Her touch remained gentle, never forceful. Mario just knew that she would let him give up on this training if he really wanted to.

Meggy: You got this, okay?

Mario: I'm trusting you.

Meggy: That's a good sign.

She leaned in close, whispering into his ear.

Meggy: *quietly* Make three shots, and we can go somewhere tonight. Your decision too.

Mario: Tonight?

She pats him on the shoulder, then moves on, checking the last blindfold, then yelling out that their training was about to begin.
Mario smirked to himself.

Mario: *to self* Another date already. Maybe things really are looking up.

Douglas listened for the first blare of a siren, then fired a shot, not knowing where it was going. He didn't manage to hear any other noises, so he probably missed his target.