𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑜𝑛𝑒

CHAPTER ONE
Hundred Dollar Bills Under Our Sleeve

Marissa reached out for the light, and yet it didn't accept her. Darkness would always become of her, not a single ray of light could enter her soul.

    She looked up from her spot in the woods to see Aleksander. "What are you doing, sister?" He asked, never understanding the need to be sitting on the grass covered in leaves.

    "Trying to get away."

    "From what exactly?" He asked.

    "I don't know yet. But I know a tragedy will occur, I can feel it."

    "Hello... Marissa—" Jesper's voice finally registered into Marissa's head.

    "What is it, Jesper?" She questioned, leaning against the wall with her arms crossed. Her normal black attire blended into the scenery and atmosphere of Ketterdam. She was to keep on the lookout for tricksters that were trying to outsmart everything and everyone in the Crow Club.

    "Reminiscing on your childhood?" He asked.

    She scoffed, "what childhood?"

    Jesper started to walk away, "keep an eye on the door, for me?"

    "Kaz will find out, he always does." Marissa reminded.

    "You're no fun." Jesper exasperated, continuing to walk away.

    Marissa watched the scene unfold from afar. She watched as Kaz instructed Jesper to go back to the door, and that caused Marissa to smirk. Jesper looked at her. She saw Kaz talk to the man who she still had no idea what his name was, trying to sell a painting or map. Then, she watched Kaz go to the upper area and into the room.

    —

    After hearing about a lead to one million kruge, which she knew they wouldn't refuse, they all tried to get information out of people, there was nothing. So, Kaz, Inej, Jesper, and Marissa sat at the table in the club.

    "Here's what I don't get." Jesper started.

    "We're going to be here all night." Inej replied in a slightly annoyed tone.

    "Rude. Why haven't they tried going under it? Just dig a tunnel." Jesper wondered.

    "Tried that. More than a century ago. Something... heard them digging."

    "It was made hundreds of years ago by that crazy Grisha..." Jesper trailed off.

    "The Black Heretic." As soon as Inej finished saying the title, Marissa tensed up, and just downed her shot.

    "Yeah, the one who controls shadows. They've got one in their army now. General Kirigan?" And the Crows had one too that they didn't know about.

    "Your point?" Inej asked.

    "If one of his kind made it, can't he unmake it?" Jesper questioned.