𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑓𝑖𝑣𝑒

CHAPTER FIVE
Blueprint Of The Shadow

They had arrived in Kribirsk, East Ravka. Inej was eating away at a pastry, while the others were having a drink.

"That went well." Jesper said, recalling the events of crossing the Fold.

"The little Palace winter fete. There's just no way he can find a way to the Sun Summoner without Nina. Especially during this ridiculous party. The place will be crawling with Second Army." Arken complained.

"We're in luck. There's a good chance we can crack on. Now that we're three days' travel from the capital, the next play is finding a way inside the Little Palace. It turns out the Kribirsk archives house the Little Palace blueprints. But... they're kept under lock and key. Far from the prying eyes of the masses." Kaz explained.

Jesper banged his fist on the table, "yes."

"What does that mean?" Arken wondered.

The four Crows had faint smiles on their faces. "Time for a heist." Jesper exclaimed.

Marissa walked away from the table, hiding in a corner, away from everyone. No one had brought up the crossing of the Fold. Kaz snuck around, making his way to her. He stood beside her with a glare as he looked at everyone. Marissa saw how his eyes softened ever so slightly when he was in Inej's presence. It was partially uncomfortable silence, but there was a part of it that she was thankful for.

Kaz sighed. "You're Grisha." He whispered. "Would have been nice to find out sooner for heists."

"I wasn't going to let the volcra kill us all. We have a job to do." Marissa put her hands in the pockets of her jacket, looking down. "You knew, didn't you?"

"I had my suspicions that you were Grisha. Not a shadow summoner." Kaz responded. "Are you related to the general?" He questioned.

Jesper walked over, put his hands on his hips and looked at Marissa. "You— you summoned... shadows?"

"No, I summoned waffles." Marissa sassed.

"Rude." Jesper replied.

"Alright. Royal Archives heist. Here's the game plan. Watchmen are on guard around the clock. We want to get in and get out as quietly as possible. That means the hardware stays in the holster, Jesper." Kaz instructed.

"Ugh, fine." Jesper groaned.

"Inej, the dome on the roof is directly above the repository where the blueprints to the Little Palace are kept." Kaz told her.

"Got it. That's my way in." Inej confirmed.

"We may need coverage, Marissa."

"I'll summon shadows to confuse people inside." Marissa said, nodding.

"I'll set a trail of phosphorus that will lead you straight to the target. The repository is secured at all times behind a two-part lock mechanism. So Inej, you have to leave the way you came in. Two hours after sunset is when you'll go in, Jesper. You'll need to blend in."