𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑓𝑜𝑢𝑟

CHAPTER FOUR
Crossing The Fold

"I didn't hire you simply to get us across the Fold. You're with us because you smuggle Grisha out of the Little Palace. And that's the location of our target." Kaz told The Conductor.

"Sun Summoner." Inej added.

"Alleged." Kaz corrected.

"They wouldn't keep a fraud in the most secure location in all of Ravka." Inej told Kaz.

"You said you have a contact who can get us inside. A Heartrender." Kaz brought up.

The Conductor nodded.

"How do I know we can trust her?" Kaz asked.

"Nina grew up there." As soon as the name Nina fell from The Conductor's lips, Marissa looked up.

"Nina..." She whispered, quiet enough so no one could hear her.

"Most Grisha grew up in the Little Palace. Very few would betray their general, and fewer still would help foreigners kidnap their most prized possession."

"Nina's a radical. Thinks Grisha should get to choose if they serve the Crown. She despises involuntary service more than she does Fjerdans." The Conductor, which Marissa now knew as Arken, explained to Kaz.

They arrived at the inn. Shadows casted throughout the room.

"She knew to expect us." Arken stated.

"She isn't late. She's gone." Kaz replied.

"Yes, but her things are all..."

"Kidnapping, it's a thing. A thing you are very familiar with, are you not?" Marissa snapped.

Arken found an item from the Drüskelle.

"She's probably captive on a ship to Fjerda by now."

"They had a clear line of attack." Inej informed.

"Take a look. Make sure there aren't any more surprises." Kaz told Inej, prompting her to climb out the window.

"Well, that's that. We've lost our way into the Little Palace." Arken said, sitting down.

Marissa scoffed. Any ounce of anger and fury in the world was presented on her face. Before she could even let out a word or think about punching Arken, Kaz shook his head at her. The three Crows that were in that room walked out.

"Why can't I punch him again?" Marissa questioned Kaz quietly.

"You can punch him later, when there's even more of a reason. For now, don't murder our way to the Little Palace." He told her as they walked out of the inn.

"This seems like a reasonable juncture to abandon this whole Sun Summoner plan." Arken told them.

"Kaz—" Marissa started.