𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑠𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛

CHAPTER SEVEN
Family Of Sinners

Marissa felt a surge of power run through her left hand, then Jesper stopped the carriage. Marissa hopped down, alongside the others. The four stood in front of Alina Starkov.

"We don't want any trouble." Jesper told her.

"Neither do I, so I'll just be on my way." Alina tried to leave, but Kaz placed the cane in front of her to stop her.

"Clearly, you want out of East Ravka. But we can help you. We have a secure route through the Fold." Jesper told Alina.

"I prefer to travel alone." Alina said, nearly shaking.

"Don't be rash. You stick with us, everybody gets what they want." Jesper stated.

"I'm not being anyone's captive ever again. So step aside and let me pass." Alina demanded.

"I'm afraid we can't let that happen." Kaz said, prompting Alina to use a sun shield to distract the boys.

Inej and Marissa let Alina go. Inej looked at Marissa, who was watching Alina run. "Go. We'll catch up." Inej whispered.

Marissa nodded her thanks and ran after Alina. "Alina Starkov." She greeted quietly.

Alina held her hands up, ready to protect herself.

"I'm not going to hurt you or bring you back to anyone." Marissa told Alina, making her loosen her shoulders a tiny bit.

"Why do you look and sound familiar?" Alina asked.

"I'd like to preface that I do not agree with him, but..." Marissa warned, creating a shadow from her fingertips.

Alina's eyes widened. "But—"

"Aleksander is my older brother. I ran away from that life a long time ago. I'm going to do what I can to protect you, Alina." Marissa told her.

Alina nodded. "Alright."

"I would suggest running. Stay away from large and small crowds, take back roads when you can. If you must, hide underneath a hood or walk with your head down." Marissa advised.

"Thank you, very much..."

"Marissa."

"Marissa. Thank you." Alina thanked, running off again.

Marissa headed back to find her friends, who eventually made their way into a bar or pub.

"No horses missing at the stables, so..." Inej informed.

"So?" Kaz whispered.

"What?" Inej wondered.

"Are either of you going to tell me how the target got away?" Kaz looked at both girls.

"I— we let her go." Inej answered truthfully.