𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑡ℎ𝑟𝑒𝑒

CHAPTER THREE
Plan Of Distraction

Marissa snuck around alleyways to avoid the indistinct chatter of those she did not care for. She made her way to the Crow Club through the typical pouring rain. She entered the club, rolling her eyes at a man who tried to flirt with her before she twisted his arm so simply.

He looked up at her with a grin. "Feisty, I see."

"How about I tear your eye from its socket? And perhaps throw you into The Fold?" Marissa threatened, causing him to run away.

Marissa sighed, making her way to find Jesper and Inej, who were sitting at the bar counter. Marissa ordered her drink of whiskey, then took small sips of it from the glass as she listened to Inej.

"He doesn't have a way across the Fold, and the three of us know it." Inej complained.

"I bet he'll figure it out. Come on, take that bet. Bolliger won't play with me anymore, so..." Jesper tried to persuade both girls. The bartender slid Jesper's drink to him, "thank you." Jesper thanked, but Inej took hold of it and downed it before his fingers could even touch the glass.

"He's obsessed with taking down Pekka Rollins." Inej breathed out.

"Of course he's obsessed with the one villain in town who's paid off the stadwatch to get away with murder." Jesper continued, "thanks. Another one, Joe."

"No, it's more than that. I've seen the way Kaz looks when he says Pekka's name. Kaz wants revenge." Inej said, getting interrupted by a man handing her a piece of paper with the Menagerie symbol.

"Off to the Menagerie? Want company?" Jesper offered.

"No."

"No, I meant to watch your back." Jesper corrected himself. But Inej had already walked away from the two.

Joe looked at her, raising a brow. "Another drink." Marissa answered.

She downed the whiskey like she needed it to breathe.

"You alright, boss?" Jesper asked Kaz, who just sighed.

Kaz sat down, downing Jesper's second drink. "No. I've been warned off the job." Kaz grunted.

"By who?" Jesper wondered.

"Who do you think?" Kaz responded.

"Did he remember you?" Jesper wondered.

"If he had, I'd be dead." Kaz replied.

Marissa ignored the feeling of a cut to the wrist. She looked down at her wrist, only seeing a small scratch that had practically faded into the abyss. She quickly hid her wrist underneath the fabric of her jacket to calm the shadows from emerging.

"Sunrise is in five hours." Kaz continued.

"Yeah, but we're off the job now, right?" Jesper said.

"Never make decisions out of fear, Jesper. Only out of spite." Kaz advised.

"Well-taught lesson, Brekker." Marissa set her glass down.