Ten

"We have a very powerful squad on the mainland, but I do think I will make some changes. I want Y/n L/n to join the security forces on the mainland, and protect the Cochlea under Arima. Is that clear?"

My lips parted with surprise. That's odd.

My eyes travel to Juuzou, who had a troubled look on his face. After a moment he softened his look and raise his hand.

"It may harm our combat strategies, sir. Is that necessary? Due to strategic importance, I would rather have other teammates stay on the mainland."

Yoshitoki Washu crossed his arms.

"I'm sure you will bounce back. After all, you managed to take down Big Madam with no problems at all without miss y/n."

I didn't like it. I didn't like his tone or his aura. I didn't like the idea of changing our team a day before the operation, and I didn't like the fact that we had to be apart again.

Juuzou leaned back against his chair, a blank look in his eyes.

When the meeting was over we were sent back home to get ready. We walked quietly home, no one was talking.

"How do you feel, y/n san?" Hanbee asked me, a worried look on his face.

"It's annoying. They know we fight the best as a team. It just feels stupid to assign me to another investigator a day before the attack. Especially under Arima."

"I'm relieved you are working with him. He won't let you die~" Juuzou interrupted from behind.

"I don't know... I will rather be with you" I say with an acerbic tone.

"We must obey orders y/n chan" Juuzou smiled.

"At any cost?"

He looks at me with his big crimson eyes.

"Everything will be fine"

***

The big day have come and I was in the 8th ward in the docks.

My team was getting ready to go on the ships.

"Looks like it's time" Nakari says.

I look at Juuzou with brooding eyes.

"Please, be safe" I whisper and hug him. He warps his hands around me, his uniform makes it hard to tighten our hug.

"Are you doubting me?" He asks playfully.

"Never" I said, and gently placed a kiss on his cheek.

He looked confused but quickly snapped out of it and smiled at me.

And with that, the ship disappeared into the horizon. The sky was grey, and the air was filled with the scent of war.

"Y/n" A voice called me from behind.

"Arima san" I bow when I turn around.

"Let's get going" he turned away. I stood for a moment before joining him.

***

I was feeling uneasy.

I trusted Juuzou with my life, and I knew he will be back, but being away from him at war makes me anxious.

"Partners shouldn't be separated" I tell Arima after he asked how I was. We walk into Cochlea, people are staring at us.

"But they do need to learn to let go of each other, aren't they? Dependence is unnecessary when your life is on the line" He answered in his monotonous tone.