Ch.33 ~ Barn Massacre That Led To Sophia

Y/n's POV

I walked over to the old man who met me halfway. As I made my way to him I didn't fail to take note of the bag of guns slung over his shoulder and the two plastic black bags he carried in his hand.

"Dale, what are you doing with the guns?" I questioned holding a hand over my eyes as the sun was directly on me. I also had my right eye squinted shut due to the natural weakness that eye held after it was injured.

"Follow me." The man merely uttered spinning me around and walking off towards the forest.

"Uh, Dale, care to answer me? I mean, I was just about to leave to search for Sophia? I can't exactly take leisurely walks in the forest." I said limping after the man who walked with a stride of determination in his step.

The man stopped, huffing and turning to me. "Shane left you that night at the school didn't he? Shot you in the leg and left you for dead? Glenn found your guns in his tents a few days back, caught on pretty quickly and told me."

I looked at Dale with an impressed smile, standing with my injured leg bent while I put my weight on my left leg and crossed my arms. "I'd guessed you'd be the one to catch on first but for Glenn to have already figured it out. A lot must have happened in the last few days to harden the boy. He's a lot more aware now, that's good."

I walked up to the man standing and looking him in the eyes before I sighed. "Alright what are we doing with these then?" I asked, taking the bag of guns and slinging them over my shoulder.

The man led us to a small swamp. "Hiding them from the likes of Shane. You've seen how he's become. He's not safe to be around." The man said.

"You've got that right." I comment.

"I only hope Rick opens his eyes before he does something stupid." The man said as we approached the swamps edge.

I placed the bag of guns into the first plastic black bag Dale held open before resting it against a nearby tree.

"That remains to be seen. Rick he's a man who still wants to see the good in things. Which is good, we need that, but it's also caused him to be a bit oblivious. The only person who could open his eyes is ... Lori." My eyes widened as I thought of this.

"Lori?" Dale questions.

"She's his wife and well we both know she and Shane hooked up while Rick was gone. Surely she'd notice a difference in his...demeanour." I state shuffling on my feet.

"Man, this is a good hiding place." A familiar voice booms out behind us. Myself and the old man turned to see Shane standing a few feet away looking around us.

"We ain't been to the swamps much, huh?" He questions.

Dale and I share a look before continuing with what we were doing. Dale shook out a bag as he replied to the man while I held the bag of guns. "Imagine if you applied your tracking skills to finding Sophia."

"Ha! As if he'd waste his time doing something for someone other than himself." I remarked as Dale pulled the second bag over the top of the guns.

"How about you two just give me that bag, huh?" Shane walked over to us and joined us down by the swamp's edge.

"I'm not gonna do that." Dale states determined as my hand instinctively went to the pocket on my cargo trousers ready to pull out my knife if needs be.

"Yeah, you are, Dale. Unless, well, you do have that rifle over your shoulder." Shane says suggestively, daring Dale to threaten him.

"Are you gonna shoot me like you did Otis?" Tell another story?" The older man snarked.