chapter 5

It's hot out today. I was on my way to the dance school. I had a appointment with the Dean and was well prepared for the day ahead. My resume was polished . It was time for this new chapter to begin. But I wasn't prepared for what was I store for me. I pulled up to the school and grabbed my java. I looked up as man walked out for the door. He had a on a suit and tie. I was thinking that it could be him.

I adjusted my clothes and smiled. Fake it even if your nervous. I arrived in the office and my name was called. The Secretary came to tap my shouder. I crossed my finger that this was my time. I glanced at his name, Mr Gershwin. Very fancy name. Mr.G" so Miss Thomas, we have to discuss one thing , we have all discussed your application have decided to decline your request. I'm so sorry but our school isn't up to accommodating your well handicap. We do however have a name for another school who does accommodate people like yourself ". When he got done signing to me I was very crushed . I didn't understand why they thought this way. I wasn't any different than any speaking student. I can dance, I can do everything that they can. I kept my calm and extended my hand and he shook it then handed me the piece of paper with the other schools name on it.

I stepped out of the office and hung my head. I was hoping to walk out with a happy feeling. But then once I really thought about it , hey I just have to keep pushing and keep postive.

Hour later, I was at the store buying dinner and breakfast food for tomorrow. Maybe Tomo could come over and we could have a drink or two. I didn't wanna bring him down. He was on cloud nine form his new job. I texted him and he set Me a smiley face and said " count me in , see ya in a bit "

I paid for my items and got back in my car. On my drive home, I saw my phone light up . I could see Tomo's name appear . I got up to the stop light and read my message. My heart was fluttering. He just told me that Shannon would be coming over as well to hang out. I was nervous. But hey this would be a good way to get to know him right ?

I stopped at the store and bought some drinks for all of us and headed on the road again.

Ahhh finally home, time for a shower then get everything ready for tonight. The sun has gone down. There was a cool breeze blowing. I think maybe I will go for a swim instead of a shower. I go upstairs and change into my bikini. I open the back door and walk out to the pool. The water is warm. I'm ready for a dip. Jumping in, the water splashes all around me. I forgot about my disappoint today. I can deal with it tomorrow. The front door opens and Tomo comes into the house. He doesn't see me so he heads up to my room. Shannon " So is she here ?" Tomo" I don't see her. Her car is here though ". Shannon looks over and can see the back door is open. He decided to head over to see who left it open.

He steps just into view then looks over to see me in the pool. I had no idea that he was watching me. Only when I turn around finally , I realize I have company. He smiles and once again I get shy. He's my brothers friend but still I have these butterflies going crazy in my heart.

He sits down and our eyes don't leave each other. Tomo" Shannon ? Hey where ..oh, ok there you are " Tomo looked over at me and signed " how was your day ?" I singed back " i didn't get in " He frowned and have me I love you sign. I smiled and then quickly looked over at Shannon and I don't realize that Tomo was still signing with me.

Tomo came over to the edge and splashed my face smiling. I splashed him back, getting him soaking wet. He went into brother mode and threw a lot of water back at me and stuck out his tongue.

Shannon " So how was her day ?" Tomo" wait, how did you know ?" Shannon " well one thing you didn't know about me , is this ". Tomo was in shock! How could he not know this ?

Shannon has been born deaf , he was placed into schools and had to learn sign language fast and over time his family had taken him into the doctors and decided on corrective surgery. It was successful!

Shannon had received a impant to help restore his hearing up to a good 50 percent. He could hear sounds and was overjoyed. He kept this secret and thought that well, today was perfect day to spill the beans to Tomo.

Tomo " wow! I guess since you know,what she's saying , why don't you get to know her better ? I will be back. I'm gonna start drinks and dinner. "

Shannon looked back at me. I was blown away , almost teary eyed when I watched him sign to me " I'm Shannon how are you ? " I swam over to the side and signed back to him " I'm Julie , I'm great how are you ?" He walked over to the edge of the pool then sat down. Shannon " mind if I join you? That water looks warm " I was nervous before , but since I realized that he knew sign language I felt more at ease.

I signed to him " sure... ok ". He went in the house and saw Tomo was finshed with dinner an drinks and was headed out to the pool area. Shannon " you got any swim shorts I can use? I'm thinking of jumping in " Tomo told Shannon to check in his drawer and that he would meet them out there in a bit. Tomo could tell that something may be happening between his siter and Shannon . He didn't wanna be in the way. He trusted Shannon and his sister was a big girl , she could handle herself .

Shannon found a pair of trunks , changed into them and grabbed a towel, heading back out to the pool area. I looked over and saw him coming out the patio door. I couldn't breathe. He was built like a Greek god. One that you read in books. I had to catch my breath.

He walked to the stairs and got in the water. I swam over to the back of the pool. I felt like a little girl who just had her first crush. He slowly came over to where I was and my pulse quickened, my heart pounded. As he reached me , he locked eyes with me. Shannon signed to me " do I scare you ?" Me " a little , it's ok " He came closer and Tomo came outside to us and said " dinner is ready "

Before Shannon backed away , i felt his hand grab for mine and he gave me a quick smile. My skin caught fire. I was now in the crossroads of , do I let these feelings surface? Or do I hold to my rule , don't crush on your brothers friends. What do I do ? Maybe I was just over thinking it all. Time to drink and just enjoy his company.