Chapter 5

Hugging my knees to my chest I battled the tears spiking at the corners of my eyes. Why do I care so much if Rick likes me or not? He's just some old geezer. I huffed. I wasn't looking for love and even if I was it's not like Rick and I could ever really work out. He was my friends grandpa ! Making the executive decision to forget about Rick I splayed out on my mattress and exhaled.
I pulled out my phone and texted Birdie

Me: hey! Is there anyway I can start like. Today?

Birdie: oh! I mean, if you want to
Birdie: bring your equipment in and we can get you set up at a booth

I sighed happily . I needed a distraction, something to get the Rick situation out of my head.
Packing up all of my tattoo equipment into my car , I headed over to Birdie's.
Pulling up to the shop, I grabbed a box of my stuff and made my way inside. The little blonde woman was once again seated at the receptionist desk and I greeted her politely.
"Hey! Birdie said we could get me set up in a booth today."
The girl nodded and pointed to the back of the shop.
"I never caught your name by the way?" I inquired .
"Jessie." She said curtly.
"Great to meet you Jessie, I hope we can get along." I said politely .
Jessie smiled and I made my way into the back of the shop.
Short time skip
Birdie helped me grab all my equipment and set up my booth. He was super nice ! And kind of flirty , I noticed. He left lots of lingering touches on my shoulders and complimented my outfit and such. I definitely didn't mind though. As unprofessional as it was , I liked the attention.
"So what brings you to town?" He asked casually "a boyfriend?"
I smiled and ran a hand through my (H/L) hair.
"Uh no I'm not seeing anyone." I said batting my eyelashes up at him.
He smiled and laughed a little. Crossing his thick arms , I couldn't help but notice how different he was from Rick. Rick was thin and pale and lean, with a mean attitude to match. Birdie was flirty , fit , young and tatted. Definitely a better fit for me.
"Well I've got one last client before closing. Why don't you get settled in then help Jessie with closing?" He suggested.
I shook the flirty thoughts of my new boss out of my head and nodded in agreement. This was going to be good for me.

     After closing , I drove home in high spirits. My cute new boss could definitely derail my Rick situation . I got home and snuggled in bed. Then my eyes landed on the pile of clothes from Rick. They were washed and folded and I had originally planned to return them myself but, now I think I'll just give them to Summer to return. Grabbing my phone I texted her ,

Me: Hey srry for bailing again. Wanna hangout tmrw?

Summer: sure xx Rick is taking me shopping at the gerliezian mall.Which is a super cool intergalactic shopping center. U should totally come with

   I stopped and pondered the offer. As much as I didn't want to be around Rick , when else could I go into space?? I just won't pay attention to him I finalized.

Me: sounds wicked!

Summer: we aren't going till nighttime so come over whenever

Me: cool I'll come after my shift