Chapter Four

The week passed slowly and torturously for me. I couldn't avoid him at work no matter how much I tried to. Although it was strictly business and we were never alone, there was tension in the air. At least, on my part.

The next day I woke up in my own sweat. That's the outcome of the nightmare I had. I saw him in my dream and I just kept running away till I fell from a tall building. It felt very real and like the traditional girl that I am I started looking for meanings to it.

For someone who has a job Jola sure sleeps a lot. I think she sleeps deeper whenever I am around knowing I'd wake her up anyway. If she has her way Jola could sleep the whole day.
Sleep doesn't come to me as easily, I remember my mom used to tell me that growing up I didn't sleep much either. And whenever we were asked to sleep, I would cry till I fell asleep.

I kick Jola protruding butt with my feet not too hard to hurt her but enough to wake her. While I sluggishly walk to the bathroom.

"I am coming in or else I am going to be late." She called.

"Not a chance." She jiggles the knob aggressively. "It is locked. I won't be long, I promise."

"One day, I am going to beat you to the bathroom and make sure you are late." She said and I smiled through my toothbrush and paste.

"When dogs fly." I replied, spitting into the sink.

"I don't know what you are hiding. We have the same thing."

"I don't think so."

I have never been comfortable with people seeing me nakedness. Trust me I love my body, infact the only time i think I am sexy is when I am naked. With someone else, it's gross.

The one and only time Jola and I bathed was in Uni. We were late for lectures that we had at 8 o'clock. It wasn't bad, we each bathed and ran out of the bathroom. But If there was a choice I would have taken it.

We have known each other since Uni when we looked like starving children. The memories flooded back in as I bathed. She's the only friend from Uni I am close to. The others? Well, that chapter closed and some relationships ended with it.

I am on my way to work and my hands are clammy. Anxiety doesn't look good on me. It's good that he doesn't remember me. Although my heart disagrees, I wanted him to
remember me as much as I wanted to remember what happened that night.

Alcohol makes me stupid and I know better than to indulge in it. But then desperate times call for desperate measures. The first time I had alcohol was, I swore, it was the last time I
would take it. Uncomfortable secrets were revealed and I peed in our kitchen.

I wanted to take it for the first time. So, I told my brother. He organized the passage rite and I downed as many cups as I could. At first, I wasn't affected so I continued. Soon
enough, I couldn't walk or remember where I was. And I had the craziest hangover from all the mixtures of alcohol I took.

I got to work earlier than usual. There was the cleaner who was packing up, I assume she's done and receptionist Abigail.

"Good morning ma." She greeted

"Good morning. How are you?" I asked, noticing she had a frown on her face.

"We thank God."

I loved my work, especially the growth that comes with it. The healthy work environment, steady promotions. I walked into the elevator clutching a file under my armpit and searching for my phone.

"Hold." I heard someone say
Because of my reflexes, I outstretched the hand that held my file and the door slid back open. I watched as Ireoluwa stuck his feet into the elevator then his torso.

My heart skipped beats and I felt my face flush immediately. My heart increased its pace and I stood still, unmoving. I am not sure if I was breathing too. Looking everywhere but at him even though I wanted to stare into his deep and penetrating eyes and feel things.

He bent over and I jerked slightly. Sue me for thinking he was leaning in for a kiss. Instead, he took the file on the floor. And for the first time we locked eyes. I gulped, it was like looking into his soul. It wasn't uncomfortable, it was familiar.

"Are you going to take it or…" He said and I took it from him.

"Thank you." I mumbled

In my office, I placed my head on the table and stayed like that to calm my heart. Whenever he is around me, it's like my senses are hieghtened to feel him and only him.

Aren't I too old to have a crush? I can't like him, I don't even know him. So what we had sex. Or, is it because we had sex. My first. I need to find out if he recognizes me. Maybe have a conversation.

"Are you okay?" Feyi's handsome face is staring at me that too at a close proximity.

"Oh! I am fine." I answer and he steps back, putting the appropriate space between us. He draws his chair closer to my table.

"I have been staring at you for a while now. You got something on your mind?"

"No, I am good." I said in an octave. A lie

"Okay. If you say so. How come you are here before everyone else?"

"I woke up early. What about you?"

"This is the time I always get to work. You've never noticed." He says like he expects me to check my watch whenever he comes in. No, because I don't care.