3 - 𝓞

—🍬🦇—

~

"He's everywhere, yet nowhere, man." one of the local policemen, Jack, said to his partner, John. He examined the wanted poster in his hands, as if burning the image of the man on it in to his mind.

"It's really pissing me off. More and more people are disappearing, and he seems to be the cause of it." John replied, lighting his cigar swiftly.

Jack ironed his hand upon the surface of the paper, sticking it to the lamppost securely. He took a step back, admiring his task.

"Let's just hope he doesn't wipe out the whole town before we catch him, yeah?"

~

"Are you paying your fees?"

"yes, mom."

"Is your manager paying you?"

"yes, mom."

"Have you drank water today? Did you eat something this morning??"

"Mom. I'm a grown man."

Over the phone, Kevin could hear his mother sigh. "I know, Kevin...sometimes I just get a bit worried."

He laughed a bit. "Yeah, I know."

"You promise me you're taking good care of yourself?"

"yeeees, moooom."

"Alright, alright, I'm just checking!" Jaune giggled, sighing. "Me and your little brother miss you, y'know."

"It's not like I live MILES away from you, mom."

"I know, I know, but I'm still not used to not seeing you everyday. Having an extra empty bed in the house still doesn't feel right..."

"I'll visit soon, mom. I promise."

Kevin could tell that this made her smile. It made him smile too.

"You better." She said. "Alright, I'll call again in a few days, alright?"

"Alright. See ya."

"Take care of yourself, Kevin. I mean it." Jaune sternly, yet worriedly told him.

"I will. I promise."

And so, he hung up.

He sighed, leaning his elbows on his signature CandyClub counter, staring down. Rick appeared from one of the aisles.

"Was that your mom?" He asked.

"Yeah. She calls every once in a while. She's always worried about me, for some reason." Kevin shrugged

"She's your mom, Kevin." Rick remarked.

"I'm aware! But, it's just nice to have a little space sometimes..."

Kevin looked down, staring at his fingers.

Rick sighed, and put a hand on his shoulder. "You weren't the happiest kid, were you?"