Chapter 19

Drew

We trudged along. I was half ghost, so I didn't get tired, but still, this was not fun. My hair was jet black and flatted, thank you rain, and my clothes were dripping wet. So were Annabeth and Percy's. Although, they were at least trying to wring their clothes out. Wasn't working, but still.

We kept going.

Suddenly, I smelled food. Greasy, yummy, fatty, unhealthy food. Now, I wouldn't get fat from it. It was impossible, but I wanted that food. Actually, I wasn't even hungry.

"Do you smell that?" I asked.

Percy an Annabeth sniffed the air.

"No." Annabeth said, shaking her head.

"Nothing." Percy agreed. I did have better smelling.

I kept Percy and Annabeth on the trail to food, until they also smelled it. We quickly approached the cause of the scent and found a place. Having dyslexia and all, it was hard to read the sign, but I managed. The letters were mixed together, so I silenced Percy and Annabeth. I remembered the letters perfectly. My mom used to make me do this thing where I unscrambled scrambled words. I got good at it. I focused on this, until it clicked. Aunty Em's Garden Gnome Emporium. I told Percy and Annabeth.

"Food. Yummy, yummy food." Annabeth said.

"So hungry." Percy said.

"Food." I agreed.

We walked to the gate and saw

Weird statues everywhere. They were so realistic, they were creepy. I felt as though they were staring at me, and I didn't let them touch me. Or, well, me brush up against them.

The door opened, revealing a tall woman. I could say much about her because she had a black dress on and a black veil. I couldn't see her face. Actually, all I could see where her dark colored hands. From what I could see, she was old, and she looked like someone who had once been very pretty.

"Where are your parents?" she asked, looking worried.

"We are-" Annabeth was cut off by Percy.

"Orphans. We are orphans."

She looked upset by this news. "Orphans?" she asked, sounding horrified by the thought.

"Yes. We are waiting for our ringmaster. He told us to meet him at the gas station. Maybe we are at the wrong place." Percy said.

"Or, maybe, he left us." Annabeth said in a sad voice that made me want to comfort her.

"Come in. Are you hungry?" she asked.

Instantly, something went off in my brain. It told me that she was bad. I could relax, or get intoxicated by the food. All I knew, was that she was bad. That feeling seemed to say 'I told you so.' when she locked the door behind us. Now, I could escape. Percy and Annabeth, that's a different story.

She put nachos, burgers, fries, milkshakes, and more unhealthy foods in front of us. I just kept feeling worried and eating. I think I ate around a whole pizza, three burgers, four things of fries, and six players of nachos. Plus, two milkshakes. Everyone stared at me in wonder.

Aunty Em told us her story. She said she'd had two sisters who had passed away. And something about a mean woman with gray eyes, similar to Annabeth's, she actually said that, and, yes, I was curious as to how she knew Annabeth's name as well, had tried to separate her from her boyfriend, by doing a horrible thing to her. I was more than wary of her, but I still had sympathy for her. She asked us for a picture.

"It's kind of dark for a picture." Annabeth said.

I felt as though there was something wrong with this woman, but at the same time I felt sad for her.

"We can see each, right?" she asked.

"Yes." Percy said.

"Well, smile. I can't see you well with this headdress on." she said pulling it off.

"What about a camera?" Annabeth asked nervously.

She smiled and started to completely take off the headdress.

"Guys, run!" Annabeth her invisible hat over her head. "Don't look!"

We turned and ran. Annabeth and I. I could hear her footsteps. Percy was face flat on the ground.

"Don't look, Percy, you idiot!" Annabeth screamed.

Annabeth walked around in a circle, so that she didn't face Medusa, well, that's who I assume she was.

She took a big stick and tried to wack Medusa's head off.

I yanked Percy back. He was in sort of a trance, and pulled him away. He snapped out of it and Annabeth, Percy, and I ran.

"Let's get out of here." Percy said.

"No. We need to kill her." Annabeth said.

"But, she, do you want to die?" Percy asked. He didn't appear to like Medusa.

"Do eat her turning more people into statues?" she asked.

I didn't stay for the rest of the argument. Instead I slipped out, into the gnomes. I found Medusa and took out the bow and arrows I had gotten. They gave me bow and arrows, because I was surprisingly good with them. While Medusa's back was turned. I fired.

Everything except the head was turned to dust. The head rolled around, leaving a trail of green goo. Gross.

"Don't look." Annabeth murmured and wrapped up the head. She handed it to Percy.

More goo dripped down. I watched as Percy mailed the head to Olympus. Annabeth didn't look happy, but she watched as he wrote the address, six hundredth floor of Olympus.

The head disappeared.