Chapter 22

Percy

I came out of the Mississippi dry. Actually, I lit a fire from an old match down there.

I told Annabeth and Drew what happened. I told them how I was faced with a fat, evil woman, monster, and her huge, evil, chihuahua.

I also told them about a voice I heard in the water. And then the woman that appeared. She had said two things: go to Santa Monica, and don't trust the gifts. She hadn't said anything else. Annabeth didn't know what gifts, but knew how to get to Santa Monica.

First, we had to weave through reporters and people. I kept my head down and Annabeth drug Drew and I to a way out. Unfortunately, the reporters suspected it was me.

We got out of there. I was hungry and dirty. Not a fun combo. Annabeth kept walking and Drew and I followed her lead.

"Do you have a drachma?" Annabeth asked us. I dug in my pocket and found one. Annabeth took out loose change and put it in the water thing. I watched as she took the nozzle and squirted.

"What are you doing?" Drew asked.

"Hopefully contacting camp." she said.

"How?" I asked.

"Just watch. O goddess, accept our offering." Annabeth tossed the coin into the water and it vanished. For a few seconds nothing happened. Then, an image appeared. It was Luke. His back was turned.

"Hey!" I called.

Luke turned and smiled. "Hey, how are you?" he asked.

"Good, to an extent. But, how is camp?" I asked.

"Chaotic, someone spread the word about the Poseidon and Zeus fight and the campers are taking sides." Luke frowned.

"That's not good." I stated.

"Yeah." Luke said.

Loud music started playing and Annabeth, who had been trying to smooth back her hair, get the dirt off her face, straighten her shirt, and more, pulled Drew away to deal with the noise.

"Are you using the shoes I gave you?" Luke asked.

"Yes." I said, remembering that Annabeth had them on since Drew and I couldn't go in the air without Zeus killing us.

"Cool, that's good." Luke smiled.

I nodded.

"Hey, you need to go to the underworld. I really think that's where the bolt is." Luke said.

I did agree. "Ok." I said.

We were running out of time.

"Tell Chiron we said 'hi'." I said.

"Will do, and good luck." Luke said.

I thanked him, and then we ran out of time.

"What did he say?" Annabeth asked.

"Nothing much." I said.

"Oh." we walked in silence.