11. Home is Where the Heart Is

Grey drove Tim and Lucy home from the private airstrip when they touched down back in L.A.

Lucy looked out the window and felt Tim lay down, resting his head in her lap.

"What's on your mind?" He asked, looking up at her.

"My mom called while we were in the air. She wanted to talk about Tamara, and apparently, she's quite upset that she hasn't met my fiancé." She ran a hand through his hair.

"Are you gonna call her back and explain it's just a big misunderstanding?"

"I sorta have to, but I wouldn't mind if you met them."

"Your parents?"

"Yeah. It's complicated between us. I told you how they entertained my acting dreams until I got into college and hoped I would quit my show to focus on school, but I didn't, and they resent that I'm still an actor."

"It's been years, and you're so good at it."

"Doesn't seem to matter to them, but anyways, maybe they're not my favorite people in the world, but they're still my parents. I'd love for you to meet them."

"I don't know if I want to."

She flashed him a questioning look.

"Not because I don't want to meet my girlfriend's parents. I just...I'm worried that if we were in a room together, I would probably yell at them for mistreating you. Not a good first impression."

"Maybe we hold off until you can be civil, then," she smirked a little. His protective nature was something she really admired, especially when he was protective of her.

"That's not happening any time soon," he guaranteed.

"So, no meeting of any parents any time soon. Got it."

"Agreed, cause I'm not letting you anywhere near my dad. Ever."

"Tim..."

"He's a monster, Luce," his eyes looked haunted.

She had heard a few stories from Tim, and Genny had whispered some not so great memories about their dad during her visit when Tim wasn't in the room, so she wasn't surprised by the characterization. "Guess if we really were getting married, we wouldn't need to bother inviting our parents," she smiled bitterly.

"If my mom were still alive, she'd be invited, and she would LOVE you!"

"You think so?"

"I know so," he promised her.

They had been spending the car ride making unbreakable eye contact, so Wade's voice was the first thing bringing them back to their present reality. "Guys? Looks like there's trouble," Grey noted as he watched a swarm of paparazzi up ahead waiting at the front gate of Lucy's home.

"Damn it," she hunched over to hide from the cameras, even with the tinted side windows, she knew the front windshield was easy to see through.

"Eyes on me. It's okay," Tim reached up and rubbed her cheek. She took a deep breath, feeling a little comforted.

Wade pulled up to her house and looked back at all the paparazzi that hadn't moved. "I'll call the cops. Get them to shoo these people away. We'll have trouble getting out with so many of them."

"Guess the rumor hasn't blown over yet."

"It's only been a week."

"9 days," she corrected.

"Whatever. We'll get through this."

"Guess the fake date tomorrow should help."

"Yeah, maybe if we're spotted since coming back from Vancouver, that will stop them from coming to our houses for pictures."