24. The Fierce Protector Part II

Tim's heart was in his throat. Lucy had texted that she was planning on coming to the house, so he hurried home to hide his surprise that he was planning on keeping a secret for a little longer by leaving it at the shelter, and by the time she arrived, he was shaking with the growing need to see her and breathe the same air as her.

Lucy knocked on the door, even though she has a key...could she still just walk in? Tim opened the door nervously and scanned for any paparazzi.

"I checked. No cameras," she said as though she could read his mind. With a tentative step, Lucy entered the house and waited for the front door to shut before she spun around and reached out to Tim for a hug. "I've missed you."

"I've missed you, too," he exhaled a breath he felt he'd been holding since the last time he saw her in January.

There was only silence as they fiercely clung to each other in the foyer for several minutes.

"Tamara told me you kept checking in on her while I was in Rome, even after the...premiere. You didn't have to do that."

"I know, but I wanted to. For you."

She swooned, because how could he be so thoughtful even after she shattered both of their hearts? "Thank you. It means a lot."

"Of course. How...how can I help you pack?"

"I'm just taking a few things," she explained and looked down at the suitcase she brought.

He noticed that it was small, which made him feel slightly better about this whole ordeal.

She touched her side and tried to move, but now that they were so close, she had trouble leaving his proximity. But, she was here with a PURPOSE, she remembered, which gave her enough strength to grip the handle of her luggage tightly and start walking upstairs.

As she took in the familiar home, she considered taking other items- her favorite throw that hung on the back of one of the living room couches, a few more framed memories of her and Tim, and the tea kettle she much preferred over the one she left at her old place, but it wasn't HERS it was THEIRS, and Lucy could not take something that belonged here where it was still THEIR home with THEIR pictures and THEIR belongings. Sticking to her initial plan, she opened her dresser drawers and closet to pick out the essentials that she abandoned before Rome- some dresses, skirts, sweaters, and books.

Lucy reached for the "Galactic Wars" series then paused.

"I've read all 3 already. I'm now halfway through the third 'Lady Winthrop' book," he answered her silent question knowing she would not take the books with her if he was still reading them.

"You're reading a romantic period drama book series?"

"They're some of your favorites, aren't they?"

"Definitely a guilty pleasure."

"Well, reading them makes me feel closer to you," he admitted. If he couldn't fall asleep next to her, he could at least drift off while reading her favorite books, which for the record, were not ALL bad. The "Galactic Wars" books were surprisingly well-written, and the "Lady Winthrop" books gave him some ideas on how to be romantic when they got back together...but he refused to confess that to Lucy.

"I guess I should leave those then," she smiled and grazed along the spines of the 'Lady Winthrop' books before carefully placing her well-loved copies of the "Galactic Wars" books at the top of her pile of clothes. Then, she watched as Tim added his worn, blue sweatshirt to the suitcase.

"It's your favorite, and you forgot it before leaving for Rome," he justified.

"I didn't forget it. I know it's one of your favorites, too. Besides, I took some of your other ones."