Chapter 7: A Date?

Wednesday 4:30 PM:

An hour or two later, SpongeBob and I sat in the Bikini Bottom Cinema. He was eating popcorn and I didn't really get anything but a drink. To say it was awkward would be an understatement. The movie was about 3 hours long and it was some sort of stupid 'Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy Extravaganza'. It was absolutely the stupidest thing I have seen in my life, but as we watched, I could tell SpongeBob was happy, and somehow.. Somehow that made me happy too. I moved a strand of hair out of my face to look at him. He looked nice, his hair was fluffy as always, his skin radiated with prosperity and health, and that small gap between his two front teeth was adorable. I suddenly felt something strange.. Nerves maybe? I was nervous to be around him.. Why now, why all of a sudden? I've never felt like this before. It was like my body had abandoned me again, blushing. I tried to stare at the screen to not attract attention, clenching the bottom of the seat in an attempt to de-stress. A few minutes passed, and I felt my face getting hotter by the second. 'Breathe'. I kept reciting that word in my head. What am I doing!? Snap out of it! Okay.. This is not a date, I do not love him, I'm just tired.. Yeah, that's it. I glanced back at SpongeBob and completely melted. Woah. Well so much for that, I can't stop staring at him.. Apparently, he caught on and quietly questioned me, "Squiddy, you're kinda staring at me.. Are you mad at me?" I cleared my throat and snapped out of trance, "W-What? No! I-I.. Did you change your hair?" Neptune, why am I so stupid!? Obviously he changed his hair, he's literally cursed! He whispered, "Wait, is my hair glowing again? Should we leave?" I corrected myself in a panic, "No, that's not what I meant, I was just saying.." To be completely honest I had no idea what to say but I had to think fast. I continued, ".. That, your hair looks nice?" It was hard to see in the dark cinema, but I could tell his symptoms started to get agitated when I said that. He began to blush as well. He smiled gently, "T-Thanks.." For the rest of the movie I sat quietly and thought. I mean, I've been thinking about this for a while, but what if.. I'm the person SpongeBob likes? There's been a lot of moments that could prove it. He wanted to hold my hand, he wanted to share a bed with me, he blushed when I complimented him, I'm pretty sure he even tried to kiss me today! I felt nervous again just thinking about it. But.. What if I'm just telling this to myself to make me feel better about my feelings for him? I just don't know anymore.

Thursday 12:00 PM:

Finally away from SpongeBob, I could stop thinking about him. O-Or.. Could I? Ugh! I took a seat inside the Krusty Krab. Even though I was supposed to be at work, Eugene was "kind" enough to leave me be. I should have quit this job years ago, a boss like him is sort of sickening. He's greedy and selfish. Whatever, it doesn't matter. I sunk my head onto my arms, which were resting on the table. Nothing does... The only I kept this Neptune-damned job was because of SpongeBob. I don't even understand how I didn't notice until recently. There's a lot of things I do only because he's around, actually.. And to think I'll basically lose him forever in less than 48 hours? Maybe I should just leave Bikini Bottom forever.. Just, run away? Would anyone even care? Not Patrick, not Eugene, not Sandy, and definitely not Plankton. The only person who has ever cared was SpongeBob, and he's just going to be some empty husk of a human being in a little while. I started crying silently, my head buried in my arms so no one could see. I'm worthless. I heard someone take a seat across from me. "Mister Squidward?" I heard Eugene's voice. Great.. Wiping my tears I looked up, "What do you want?" He sighed, "I heard about SpongeBob, I get it. You can have a week off, whether me best fry cook makes it or not. Now, do ye wanna go buy yer-self something to take yer mind off it?" He slid me $200. He's never acted like this before. He loves money so much he's willing to die for it. Maybe.. He isn't the world's worst boss. Krabs left me alone to cry for a little while longer.

Thursday 2:00 PM:

Eventually, I grew exhausted from crying, feeling almost burnt out. I stood up, my head dizzy and legs weak, and walked towards the bathroom. I pushed open the door and steadied myself on a sink. Staring into the mirror, I had so many questions. Why couldn't I just accept my feelings for SpongeBob? Should I just run away? Was I ever good enough for a real chance at life? Why do I even have this job? What will I do when he's gone? What will I do when there's no one in my life who cares about me? What will I do!? ... My mother would know. I miss her.. I sighed and started to cry again, except I just kept staring at myself, tears rolling down my cheeks as I didn't make a noise. I spoke aloud, without even realizing it, "W-What's wrong with me!? G-G..Get it together.." My breath grew shaky. I heard a knock on the bathroom door. SpongeBob opened it and looked at me with surprise, "Squiddy? Hey, don't cry... What's wrong?" He approached me, but I didn't look at him. The tears wouldn't stop. I spoke with a very monotone voice, "You know.. Y-You're the only one who has ever cared about me, right? Everyone else in my life.. I don't matter to them, they don't love me, they don't even hate me. They just don't care about me. You are the only person.. You and m-my mother. I've already lost her and I don't want to lose you... T-There! You've heard it all, my 'traumatic' life story, boo-hoo!" He started to tear up as well, stone cold pale and distressed. He didn't say a word, instead, hugging me and crying. I sighed, hugging him back after I wiped my eyes. He stuttered, still holding onto me, "Y-You are worth so much more than you could ever imagine, d-don't bring yourself down.. I just want you to be happy." I completely dropped my ego for a moment, "Sponge, no matter how I treat you, you're the best thing that has ever happened to me." I sighed with relief, and let go of him. He smiled gently and wiped his tears, "D-Do you maybe want to come watch the sunset with me? I just figured since this could be my last night relaxing?.. You don't have to." I took a deep breath and cleared my throat, "S-Sure." His mark, hair, and eyes lit up slightly at my response. I laughed under my breath.