Chapter 10: True Love's Kiss

Friday 10:00 PM:

I got up from the table and walked over to the bar, grabbing some water. I didn't really feel like getting anything fancy, I guess I just wanted something. For about an hour I just stood, watching people go by, some were crying, a couple were just upset, and almost everyone was worried SpongeBob wouldn't even show up. And yet, somehow, I felt all those different reactions were all happening inside my head at the same time. Maybe I should have just never met him, because losing him hurts worse than I ever thought possible. I don't even want to cry or scream, I just want to lay down next to him, wherever he is, and fall into eternal rest, just like he will. I want to be there with him, make him feel alright and tell him everything will be okay. I felt a tear running down my face, as I wished with everything I had in me, that maybe he will be okay, that by some miracle I won't have to lose him. My head was pounding, a terrible headache as my consciousness screamed at me to do something, anything to make this nightmare of a reality go away. Please, if there is really a god out there, just let everything be okay in the end. Please. I sighed, wiping the tears off my face. Relax. Someone tapped my shoulder, I looked over, it was Sandy. Patrick stood next to her. She spoke lightly, "Hey.. I know you're thinking about him. I've never seen you act like this before, but I guess this whole thing really sort of hit everyone hard. It's going to be okay, I promise. I mean, he'll still 'be' here? Just not himself.. ever again..." Patrick added to Sandy's statement, "I'm gonna miss him, he's my best friend, you know?" It was short and simple, but I felt the impact. I didn't say anything, my throat hurt as I tried not to cry again. Sandy smiled gently, with emotion, "Hey.. You know I thought you would be glad this day would come. But you're hurting the most out of anyone here. I never expected that from you, not in a bad way, just.. Maybe you two had more than I knew about. Anyway, who knows? It could all end up okay, whether SpongeBob is really himself after tonight or not." Patrick interrupted the conversation, "Guys! Look at the clock, there's only 5 minutes until midnight!"

Friday 11:55 PM:

With only 5 minutes remaining until SpongeBob's impending doom, no one panicked, it was sort of a moment of silence as we all thought about him one last time. Well, it was silent, until SpongeBob burst through the door and ran right to me, catching everyone by surprise. Gasps and chatter could be heard throughout the whole room. "SpongeBob!?" I yelled. He explained everything to me, everyone listening in, "Squidward, you mean so much to me. I know we don't have time, but I need to get this out. I love you. I love you so much. You make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside and you make me hate every second I'm away from you. So, can I kiss you?" I nodded quickly, there was only a few seconds before midnight. Grabbing his waist, I pulled him into an intense kiss, and even though my eyes were closed, I could tell he was glowing like a star. The clock struck midnight and we let our lips release, not knowing whether we had broken the curse or not. Silence. That was all I could hear, no one spoke a single word. We- I, needed clarification. SpongeBob looked down, and then up again, wrapping his arms tightly around my neck and shoulders. We kissed again, like some sort of miracle, we did break the curse. I pulled away to see what would happen now, the pink all faded from hair and eyes, I grabbed his hand to look at the mark, which was slowly disappearing as well. "W-We did it.." I smiled, everyone celebrated happily. I could tell he had so much to say, as did I, but staring into each other's eyes seemed to tell our story without a single word. In the corner of my eye, I saw Sandy and Plankton high-fiving each other. I grabbed SpongeBob's hand and turned to look at them. The people went silent once more as I spoke, "Why did you two just do that? You never talk to each other." Plankton laughed nervously, "W-Why, whatever do you mean?... Ha.." Sandy nudged him, "They should know, SpongeBob, Squidward, we were the ones that cursed you. Well, you were never actually cursed. We set the whole thing up." SpongeBob gasped, "What!?" I, for one, just felt hurt. She sighed and continued, "It was obvious you two liked each other for a while, but SpongeBob couldn't say anything and you, Squidward, couldn't even realize you were in love. We had to do somethin', alright boys? Anyway, I knew Plankton would catch on, so I had to get him to help me instead. Everyone else in Bikini Bottom would obviously fall for our game. We never meant to hurt you two, and even if SpongeBob never kissed you, we could have just reversed it. All we ever actually did was inject a couple things into you, SpongeBob, and it made it seem like some cliche curse. Plankton made that webpage you probably saw, Squidward. It was entirely fake. We're sorry, we know we went too far." Plankton nodded a little remorsefully. SpongeBob smiled, "It's okay. I forgive you, but you know, maybe don't go so far next time?" Instead of letting my feelings out and causing drama, I sighed and let it go, because now, right here and right now, I was holding my lover's hand and I knew he loved me too. For the first time in a long time, I was finally.. Happy.