Chapter 4

The first day back at Foxfire was... pretty chill actually. Sure, my mind was getting a bit cloudy during breaks but otherwise I was fine. No one really cared that I wasn't here for two weeks and even if someone did, I would just say that I was ill. Which wasn't completely a lie, was it? I had headaches. Sure, it was because of my new ability but that was a tiny detail.

And that was another thing. I'd decided to keep rather a low profile on my new ability. It was enough that I was already a freak because of my parents, no need to add a rare ability on the list.

I sat down in the library at our usual table along with Jaysen, Reuven and Vafara. I had to admit that I had never made friends on my own. It wasn't exactly the easiest task as a daughter of a failed match. In fact, it was quite the opposite - most of the time others would look at me with disgust evident on their faces or snicker behind my back, thinking I didn't see it. And sometimes they would pretend like I didn't even exist. I wasn't really sure, which one of the three types was the worst. However, in Foxfire I learned rather quickly to ignore all of this.

As I read through my notes of what I needed to do, I groaned. Vafara gave me a look with raised eyebrows so I explained, "I need to find this one book about iron-purification-potions. Completely useless to know if you ask me. Be right back."

I walked between bookshelves to the Alchemy section. As I came there I started to look after the thick book I needed for my essay. Though, I couldn't not notice this one blonde girl in blue uniform looking so... I don't know. She just seemed confused to me, maybe even kinda lost. Why? I had no idea.

"Do you need any help?" I stood behind her. Maybe people didn't like me in general but that didn't mean that I was a prick to everyone I met. So I watched as she flinched a little bit and turned around-

"Wow, they weren't kidding about the brown eyes," I heard my voice say. Really? I didn't even remember on agreeing to say it, you stupid brain. What a way to embarrass me.

The girl blinked, surprised at my bluntness and took a step back.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude," I tried to apologise before deciding to threw the rest of my politeness out of the window, "But are they natural, or have you drunk some potion?"

"They're natural..." the girl whispered, looking nervous.

"Cool," I smiled at her. But damn, I was gonna hear about it for the rest of the year from Jaysen. Or maybe even longer. Great, just great. "Anyway, I couldn't help but notice that you were looking for something. Need help?" I offered.

She looked unsure for a moment. Honestly, I couldn't blame her for it, really, but she nodded, "I need to write an essay about turning metals into silver."

"Hmm, I remember learning about it last year," I thought out loud and walked over to one of the bookshelf. I took out a not so thick book with green covers and handed it to the girl, "I think this one should be good."

"Thank you, um..." she trailed of as she took the book.

"Elysha."

"Sophie," she smiled.

"Good. So, if you will ever need any help with finding some books, just know, you can ask me," I grinned at her. She acknowledged my offer and thanked me one more time before walking away. I quickly found my own book and also went back to my table.

"What took you so long?" Jaysen asked me as I sat down.

"You were right," I said with a frown forming on my face, "Sophie really does have brown eyes. Natural brown eyes."

"I told ya so!" Jaysen yelled with a smirk. But when some supervising mentor shushed him to be quiet I smirked too.

⭐️🌟⭐️