<< chess >>

(jamesons pov)

The aftermath of Jameson getting shot, me thinking he was dead, and a note being left for me, was chaotic

Oren reassured me that the shooting wasn't tied to the puzzle. "so, someone honestly just wanted to shoot us?" I asked, there was no good in shooting me. All the money was in a trust fund. Oren nodded, "I'm afraid so".

Jameson had a cast around his arm and a sling. I knew it hurt, and I felt bad that he had taken a bullet because of me. But on the other hand, he decided to prank me that he was dead. I was still pissed at him, but I still kissed his cheek.

I was still trying to figure out what the note meant, Jameson said I was overthinking it, and I knew he was right. I placed it out on the table and stepped back, "mountains, the deer and the fox" I looked at it hard, and then I looked at it like it was a normal letter, something inside my head clicked and I turned to Jameson.

"your right!" He said giving me his proud face. I smiled and pulled out my phone, in notes I wrote down what I had learned. 6 months ago, Jameson told me about a Book the old man would read to him. It was called the deer and the fox, they had forbidden love so they moved to a mountain. the west point mountain. Jameson had also told me about a cottage he and Tobias would go there.

30 minutes later we were standing by the front door with our luggage, Xander and Max were there too. Oren opened the door and followed us out.

Xander climbed into the SUV with Max trailing behind him. Jameson climbed in and then took my hand pulling me up.
"what now?" Xan asked, the car had a fridge and bar which Max was devouring. "Who's up for a game of chess," I asked.

It didn't take long to find the hidden compartment with games. The old man always had one, this time it was underneath Jameson's seat. I pulled out the chess board as Xan clicked the button that released a table, I looked up surprised and he pointed under the bar.

It didn't take long to set it up, once we did, we decided into teams. We wanted to switch it up, so I and Xander teamed up while Max and Jameson did. I knew how Jameson played and he knew how I played. This was going to be good.

Fifteen minutes in, there was already an obvious winner. I thought Jameson and me made a good team, but compared to Xander and me, we sucked. "Ha," Max said as she kicked the first pawn on my side of the board. Jameson stared down at the board watching Xan slide his fingers across the chessboard. "Check," he said. "Checkmate" Jameson replied as he spun his king to face ours.

How Jameson did do that? I have no idea, I was still shocked and would've said something if we hadn't just pulled up to the cottage. It looked old and rusty but I knew it was in good condition. I heaved my bags through the big oak door as my jaw dropped at the sight of the lounge. It was beautiful, with oak carvings across the walls. Leather couches and 80' TVs.

I breathed in the smell of the fireplace and the trees. And that's when I knew, out of all the vacation homes, I and Jameson had visited. This was my favorite.