<< the key >>

(jamesons pov)

I pulled a magnifying glass from my pocket and placed it against the note, "7 PM DONT BE LATE, MEET ME WHERE THE SUN WILL FADE AWAY" Avery read aloud, she looked up at me and I shrugged my shoulders, "I know where" Xander said.

We left the cottage at 6:50 and loaded into the SUV, shortly after we arrived at the top of the mountain. "it's gorgeous" Avery murmured, "like you" I said flirtingly, "not now Hawthorne" max said, I didn't argue, what happened to her mom was not part of the plan.

We followed Xander as he led us to a bench, "what now?" I asked, "4 minutes to 7" max replied, we all sat down and waited. at exactly 7:00 pm someone kicked a box into the path, Avery stood up, probably to chase the person, but I put a hand on her shoulder "not worth it" I said.

Xander handed her the box which she opened. Inside was a piece of wood, an address was carved into it and it said: "dress nice or your life is on the line".

"what's the fax," max said, I put my hand on Avery's shoulder, I could tell she was shocked. I almost laughed at the look on Xander's face, but I managed to hold it back. We all walked back to the car and got in.

After 5 minutes of driving, Avery asked Oren to pull over, he glanced back at me and then did so. We hopped out and followed Avery, I had no idea where she was going, and frankly, I don't think she knows. She tried to kick a rock out of the way but it was a lot heavier than it looked.

"shit," she said, to make her feel better I kicked the rock too, "shit," I said smiling. She grinned and grabbed my hand, "come on!" She said pulling me to a big tree, "now what, heiress, are we doing here?" Max came up beside her, "what's up beaches" I rolled my eyes and Ave gave me a surprised look, I never rolled my eyes.

"Max, that's getting real old," I said, she clutched a hand to her heart acting as if she got shot. "Now, Jameson Hawthorne, that is the rudest thing you've ever said to me" Xander came up behind her and scooped her up like she was a feather. "Are you being rude to my girl Jamie?" Max slapped him on the shoulder and jokingly said "I'm not your girl".

Avery pulled me to the ground, "look" she said, I looked at the bottom of the tree and saw a hole, Xan bent down and stuck his hand in the hole, he pulled out a key, "ship, this is faxing cool" max said, I looked Avery in the eye and said, "you're smart heiress" she laughed as I pulled her to her feet, "I know".