Changing of the seasons pt. 1 - Summer

Story Song: I Always Knew - The Vaccines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyP_t1CI5oI

Word Count: 1036

A/N: Prepare for these shitty edits of mine

Aleks' P.O.V

"I'm outside of your house, come on, we're going adventuring."

"James, I just got out of school. Give me a break - and maybe a heads-up next time - before we go rushing into this kind of crap."

"I just got my license, it's a beautiful day out, everything is packed up and ready to go for the funnest day of your life, and you're wimping out on me?" I groaned at his fake offense, looking at the clock perched on my bedside.

"Best day of my life my ass." I mumbled.

"Atta boy. Meet me in fifteen, I already have your clothes set up."

As soon as he hung up, I shook my head. I can't even be mad at him, I loved him so much. This was going to be the perfect summer if he continued on this track.

I brushed my teeth and hair, grabbed a pair of shoes and socks along with all my necessary appliances, and headed out.

I spotted James sitting in his car, sporting a pair of sunglasses that looked so adorable on him.

"Hey." I left a lingering kiss on his cheek, feeling the warmth from his presence and instantly feeling lighter.

"Hello Aleksandr. Are you ready for the funnest day of your summer?" He grinned teasingly.

"Is this all I have to look forward to?" I complained jokingly.

"No, I'm sure the summer will hold more events. But nothing like this."

I hopped in the car, and he handed me a bag.

"You can change when we get to the nearest gas station." I nodded, plugging my phone into the aux chord lying there.

"What do you think you're doing?" James asked.

"Playing music." I answered, looking up at him under my brows as I shuffled my library.

"None of that moody angsty shit. Pop music is designed to make you feel good and light and carefree, so we're going to listen to pop."

"I hate pop." I protested.

"Light and carefree Aleksandr," He over enunciated, and I laughed.

"You're going to need to be more open minded Aleksandr, or this day is not going to work. We haven't even moved the car and you're already picking a fight with me." As soon as his sentence finished, he extended his fingers to poke my sides, causing me to jump in surprise and slight ticklishness.

"Stop calling me Aleksandr!" I said breathlessly as he repeatedly assaulted me with roaming fingers. I returned the favor, and the car was filled with joy and laughter.

I lurched forward, pressing my lips against his neck and along his cheek as I breathed out more laughs.

"I love you so much.." He said, brushing his lips against mine.

"Aleksandr." He added, his shit-eating grin apparent. Our smiles were big and wild, and James finally started to drive.

I obeyed him and unplugged my phone, and we were currently listening to a random pop station. I would never admit it, for I have a reputation to uphold, but I could definitely see why it was branded, "Light and carefree and fun".

We reached a gas station just on the outskirts of downtown, and I was practically jumping with excitement. Downtown was my favorite place to go to and James knew it.

He went inside to pay for gas and get snacks and I went to the bathroom, as unglamorous as it was, changing into the clothes James gave me. They were my size and everything, but I've never worn anything like this.

I suppose James could've borrowed them, or bought them for me, and that thought made me smile. A pair of maroon shorts to go with my vans, and a thinly striped black and white cotton T-shirt. A pair of circular sunglasses were perched on my nose, and they were by far my favorite part of the outfit.

I exited the bathroom to see James still inside, so I waited in the car.

He came out, beaming at me and my attire, pumping the gas and throwing the snacks at me.

We left wordlessly, but he clutched my hand tight, and I know he approved of my attire.

We ended up downtown, going in as many vintage or thrift stores we could find, trying stuff on and listening to music and just naturally joking around and enjoying one another's presence.

I was content with just holding James' hand as I looked at the street art littered everywhere, but James had different plans, taking a detour to the beach.

We walked along the sand, and he even convinced me to go in the water (What a bad idea that was). Soaked and having almost completely lost my sunglasses in the current, we decided to go on some of the fair rides lined up on the far side. We paid for tickets and went on a couple hurlers, but settled for the ferris wheel as the last.

Nothing can describe the feeling of being damp on a hot day with a breeze, sitting next to the love of your life and having this internal monologue running through your head all day that mostly consisted of song lyrics that described how I felt and the phrase, "I'm so happy" over and over and over.

"Hey." James beckoned, and my head snapped to him, caught off guard as his lips found mine in a passionate kiss. My tense body went completely jello under his touch, and I leaned into him, almost rocking the seat. I adjusted the sunglasses perched on top of my head in fear that they may fall off, opening my mouth for him. We tangled together, and the breath was sucked from my lungs in the most glorious way. I could tell that he was losing oxygen too, so we pulled away, noses still bumping together haphazardly and perfectly. My legs were almost completely strewn over his lap, and my face was officially flushed.

"Best day ever?" James said, and it was the sweetest kind of whisper where his voice couldn't go that low, so it broke. It was lost in the wind, and that whisper was meant just for me and him.

"Best day ever."