Afraid of the Dark

Story Song: Happy Together - Miley Cyrus 

Word Count: 558

A/N: I JUST POSTED FOR MY OTHER NOVAHD STORY 'A WOOZY YOUTH' SO GO CHECK THAT OUT B) (YOU BETTER BE GRATEFUL FOR THAT STORY IT'S THE ONLY REASON YOU'RE GETTING THIS UPDATE)

Aleks' P.O.V

My hands were stowed in my pockets, fingertips grazing my keys and phone for a quick pullout if necessary.

It was dark tonight, and due to my car being in the shop, I had to walk home. 

I probably should've accepted the many offers I got from my coworkers, but part of me is a dumbass and part wanted to preserve the idea that I live somewhere half decent. They were all rich fucks who wanted to baristas for the "Experience", and could get by just fine on their trust fund.

Meanwhile, I was scraping up as much money as I could to pay for college, cleaning whatever they wanted me to clean and not even touching the coffee.

Guess I wasn't pretty or clean enough for that.

I made the horrible mistake of leaving my headphones at home, which normally distracted me from the questionable noises I heard throughout my walk through the shit part of my neighborhood. But here I was, listening to couples fighting from their apartments, horrible skidding from cars, and what was either gunshots or fireworks. I was hoping for the latter.

I focused instead on my breathing, and suddenly it got heavier. I realized that it was somebody else after a moment, turning around just in time to see a man sprinting as fast as he could towards me.

My heartbeat sped up as I gazed into his wide eyes that were now getting closer. I barely had time to shout, let alone get away, and so he crashed into me, a gasp leaving his mouth.

My first and only thought was that I sincerely didn't want this guy to wear my skin as a dress.

"What the fuck?! Somebody help!" I screamed. The man was quick to press his hands over my mouth.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Please don't scream, I couldn't see you in the dark!"

"Get off of me!" I shouted, and he was quick to retract his limbs from mine, offering a hand that I denied.

"What the fuck were you running from, you psycho?!" I yelled at him, dusting myself off. My eyes met his embarrassed face, and I flushed as I realized how cute he was.

"I'm afraid off the dark.." He trailed off, and my eyebrows rose. He shifted feet nervously, wringing his hands. He looked as though he was holding his breath, finally exhaling to say what he wanted to say.

"Look, I'm sorry for running into you but I'm about to shit my pants, so I'm gonna go." He said quickly, already sprinting across the empty road.

"Do you want me to walk you home or something?!" I called towards him, already a blip on my radar. He must've heard me though, his response faint.

"MOTHERFUCKER, I'M RUNNIN' HOME." Followed by a throaty laugh that brought a smile to my face.

Before I realized that I should probably hurry up home, my scream causing a couple lights to flicker on in the surrounding apartments.  

What an odd experience, I thought, the rest of my night filled with wonderment about the handsome man afraid of the dark.