Chapter 14: Midnight Wish

I was in my black stilettoes and a pair of boyfriend jeans and an off-shoulder top when I went to school the next day.

"What happened to you?" Abby asked, wide-eyed.

"I look awesome, don't I?" I asked, raising my eyebrows confidently.

"Yes, but what did you do?"

"Haircut, shopping, the usual,"

"Right. Does Reece know about this?" she asked in a hushed voice.

"No. We don't live together or anything, you know."

"I know but you guys are close, right? I thought you would've told him!"

"Yeah, no. I got better things to do."

Marilyn seemed to love my new haircut, cause all the way to the class, she played with my hair. My first lecture was with Reece, and I wouldn't deny the fact that I wanted to see his reaction. He was talking to one of his friends when I walked in.

I won't be modest and say that I didn't make an entrance. Due to my numerous television appearances, and meetings, and honors, I was sort of an important person. But I tried my best to keep the attention off me.

Of course, getting a hair cut that stood out so much was so not the way to pry attention off myself. Reece's eyes locked with mine for a second before he took in my appearance. He looked away with that signature raise of eyebrows and that smile that made my heart melt.

Shaking his head, he looked back at me, his smile still on his face. I could tell that he had a question in his eyes, "What's up with this nonsense?"

I gave him a small bob of my head, and a smile before turning to Marilyn who was saying something. I replied something in a small voice to her, though I wasn't quite sure what she was saying.

We sat in our usual spot and the teacher came in, and of course, thought, Why not start the day by humiliating Christiana?

"Oh my god, Chris, you look lovely. Where did you get your hair done?" Asked our substitute chemistry teacher. I liked male professors for this reason only. They kept their nose out of our business.

There were more reasons too.

Like how they didn't pick on girls much, let us talk, didn't get much mad at us, and did point out our new style.

Don't get me wrong, I was all against sexism, but that didn't mean that sometimes I didn't enjoy it. I didn't much care about anyone else or anything else. I was sick of worrying about everything.

But there I was, glaring hard at Reece as he silently laughed at me. His friends were controlling their laughter too along with some other people. The teacher touched my hair lightly once, before giving me another one of her wide smiles.

We continued with Stoichiometry in the class and I wondered why we were studying it for so long in the first place. It wasn't nearly hard.

I almost fell asleep during the class due to the lack of sleep. But lucky for me, my awesome friends and their chatter and our substitute teacher's loud and extra cheery voice kept me up.

Reece came over to me as the period ended and asked me, "What is this nonsense," I smiled, expecting that question.

"Mathews suggested it," Marilyn found the need to say.

"Who's Mathews?" Abby asked, and I could legit see through the script. They'd planned all of it. But I was sort of grateful towards them.

"Her boyfriend," Marilyn answered, in a fake hushed voice. Reece had walked a little away by then, but I knew he could still hear her.