Chapter Twenty-Three: Karma

How do I call you a liar, now that I realize that you never did call me pretty and I was only cute to you like a stray cat?

                                                                             Christiana ​ 💖 Mathews

Mathews <3

Christiana & Mathews

I found at least four to five important pages to write all of this on.

Four pages, I was sure Reece would open. I wrote all of this with pencil, of course, but I still knew they would catch Reece's eyes. I hated writing anything in my books, so the book had nothing extra other than all of this.

A small, tiny, part of me felt guilty, but I suppressed all the guilt. It was actually kind of fun too. Messing around with him was like extra Christmas gifts.

I made sure to hand him the book.

Of course, I was not done with him about it just then.

The next day, I made a scene. Like a legit freaking scene (which only had him as an audience).

I ran up to his place, asked him to take out the book, took an eraser, and discreetly erased everything.

Of course, by discreetly, I mean in a way that he could see what was written, but it also looked like I was trying to hide it from him.

Then I gave him the book back.

He glared hard at me. I tried to smile normally, I really tried, but all I could muster was a weak fragile lopsided smile. Nothing normal.

But I knew he wouldn't notice. He had better things to worry about, of course.

He was Reece; I would never underestimate Reece, but I would also never underestimate jealousy.

That evening, I called Reece. It was well past eight, but I knew he would be free. His Friday nights consisted of watching football games with his dad or his sister.

I knew for a fact that his parents had to attend an important event, cause that was where my parents were.

And I knew for a fact that his sister wouldn't mind giving us some privacy.

I also knew for a fact that Reece would love to have the conversation I had in my mind.

And I had always known how much of a crazy stalker I was.

Reece picked up in the second ring.

"Hi!" I greeted in that excessively cheerful voice of mine.

"What happened?" he asked. His voice sounded bored.

If you're bored, I'll make it interesting for you! I thought.

"I missed you!" I spoke in that same high-pitched voice, in a little whiny way, and then started giggling. None of that was planned, and I felt like I was high.

There was a pause on his end before he asked, "What?"

"I missed you!" I repeated the same way.

"Are you high?"

"Nope!" I maintained that voice.

"I am busy, okay?"

"It's Friday night, what are you doing?"

"You know, important stuff; watching football, eating popcorn."

"I am sure you can spare a while for your bestie!"