Chapter 32: Brain On Fire

All you see is you and me

And all there is, is me and him,

I wasn't sure of my surroundings when I woke up. Everything that should've made sense, didn't make sense.

I could feel a warm hand enclosing mine and it felt...nice.

I wanted to cuddle with whoever that person was.

But then, memories of what had happened before came crashing down on me, flooding my mind, and overwhelming me.

Tears started making their way down my cheeks, and I instantly felt a soft cloth against my cheek and someone wiped them away.

I opened my eyes, blinking through the tears to clear my vision. "Thank God, you're up!" I heard Jacob before I could see him.

Slowly, I started feeling my body. First my arms, then my chest, and then finally my legs. I took in a deep breath and tried to sit up.

I felt oddly fine.

Apart from the fact that my right hand felt numb, I felt fine.

I pressed my eyes close and then opened them again. There was a small humming pain, almost negligible, in my head, but I could easily ignore it.

"What happened to me?"

"They are not sure of it yet. They did some blood tests and took a CT scan of your brain. The results would be coming in, in a while." Jacob answered, squeezing my hand reassuringly.

"I don't think it's anything serious. How long was I out for?"

"Barely six hours. Your parents are outside, do you want me to call them in?"

"Honestly, no. I just feel a little off right now. I don't want to talk to anyone."

"Okay. I just want to let you know that Reece wanted me to tell him when you woke up. He wanted to come but he's not allowed in hospitals due to his condition. Should I text him on your behalf?"

I nodded woozily. I was too tired to deal with everything. My head felt heavy, and all the stress and secrets came crashing down on me.

Reece, my boyfriend, was dying.

Were we even dating anymore?

I felt horrible for being so mad at him, but for once, even my heart couldn't convince me to pardon him.

But that didn't mean I didn't feel guilty.

Jacob stayed there as I fell back asleep. He remained there throughout my sleep and was there when I woke up. He didn't owe me anything, we weren't like engaged or anything yet, but he was there. He was there for me and it touched my heart.

I remembered why I used to love him. I remembered why he had stolen my heart.

My parents came in after a few hours, after which the doctor came, and I only chose for Jacob to stay in the room.

"Hello, Ms. Hayes, I am Dr. Joselyn," she introduced herself politely. "We had your x-rays looked over by our radiologists and it seems that you have encephalitis."

Instinctively, my hand reached out to touch the front of my head to check for any bulging, and sure enough, it was there.

"Yes, you'll be able to feel that bulge. Thing is, in your case it is a little severe. We are not sure if your unconscious state was triggered by encephalitis, or by stress, but according to your reports, it is a little severe. We will hold in observation for a day or two, see if it gets better or not. You should know that is not communicable, so you'll be allowed visitors, two at a time. However, we suggest rest. You'll be given medications and proper guidance as to when to take them."